E-M1 mkI - to fix or not

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
My old E-M1, shutter count 20000, has a problem. If weather is below +10 Celcius, shutter stucks all the time. I doesen't react if I push shutter button. But if I change to manual focus it some times does and after that, I can take few pictures with autofocus. Then it start acting again. I called Olympus and they said repair (total overhaul, meaning they change and fix everything there is to fix and change and clean the whole camera) would cost 190€ including 6 months warranty. The dilemma is, a new E-M1 mkII costs about 900-1000€, secondhand with shutter count 10000 is about 700€ with about 1 year warranty left and a better autofocus for BIF would be nice.
And the weather here in Finland is below +10C at least 6 months every year.
To repair or upgrade?

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you can afford to upgrade, I would go that route. From a financial perspective, the mk1 isn't worth the repair. The street value isn't much higher than the repair bill. Price aside, the only downside to the mkII I can think of is that it's very slightly larger than the mk1.

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Danny
Switch to electronic shutter and just keep using it that way. My shutter got stuck and was closed permenently, so I pulled the mechanical shutter out and now I just use electronic shutter with it. Works fine with ES. In your case, just switch it over and use it that way.

Danny.

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My E-M1 MkII is noticeably larger and heavier than my E-M1 MkI.

This may not matter to you.

There are times when I will choose to take my E-M1 MkI +12-50 macro rather than my E-M1 MkII + 12-100, as the kit is much smaller and about half the weight.

The E-M1 MkII is a better camera in every respect, including image quality.

Only you can make the decision on repair or replace.

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My E-M1 MkII is noticeably larger and heavier than my E-M1 MkI.

This may not matter to you.

There are times when I will choose to take my E-M1 MkI +12-50 macro rather than my E-M1 MkII + 12-100, as the kit is much smaller and about half the weight.

The E-M1 MkII is a better camera in every respect, including image quality.

Only you can make the decision on repair or replace.
Size and weight matters, but not a lot. I only use E-M1 with Olympus 40-150 pro + 1.4 teleconverter so it's all ready quite heavy.
I have an E-M mkII if and when I need lighter, carry around camera.

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Switch to electronic shutter and just keep using it that way. My shutter got stuck and was closed permenently, so I pulled the mechanical shutter out and now I just use electronic shutter with it. Works fine with ES. In your case, just switch it over and use it that way.

Danny.
I have tried it, but I shoot a lot of BIF and other wildlife and quite often I get rolling shutter effect and that bothers my, because there is no chance usually to take more pictures.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I have tried it, but I shoot a lot of BIF and other wildlife and quite often I get rolling shutter effect and that bothers my, because there is no chance usually to take more pictures.
Fix it.

190€ won't get you a "new" second hand E-M1 mk I. I think the street value of a nice E-M1 mk I with ~20000 shutter actuations would be at least 100€ more than the 190€ you'll pay for the overhaul. At least where I'm at.

And you get the complete overhaul with a 6 month warranty. Just time the repair so you'll get the full warranty period during the colder part of the year. Send it in for repair in early September.

Also, to my wallet there's a big difference between 190€ and 700€ for a used mk II!

If you go for the mk II, get a new one, as the difference between used and new is just 200€. That "new car smell" is definitely worth 200€!

Last edited:

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Danny
I take around 90% BIF shots and in all that time, I might have around 10 shots showing rolling shutter with the wings. I can post up thousands of BIF's since I ripped the shutter out of the E-M1 with no effect. So it's not really a major IMO.

All the best.

Danny.

Kae1

Mu-43 Regular
I agree with everything Erich H recommends, although might lean slightly to second hand and a year's warranty.

I had the same problem with my EM1 MkI 18 months ago but at that time the difference between the cost of a new MkII and a repaired MkI was a lot bigger, so my decision to repair was a lot easier. I ended up sending it to Olympus and they did a great job repairing it. I can recommend them. Where else are you going to get a camera of Mk1 quality with 6months warranty for 190€?

However, as you already have a second body, and ignoring cost, I think your decision is really whether you think it will be worth spending another 500/800€ for better AF and sensor.

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I take around 90% BIF shots and in all that time, I might have around 10 shots showing rolling shutter with the wings. I can post up thousands of BIF's since I ripped the shutter out of the E-M1 with no effect. So it's not really a major IMO.

All the best.

Danny.
I've looked at hundreds of those shots of yours, Danny (bloody brilliant, I might add!), didn't see any rolling shutter effects ...

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Danny
I've looked at hundreds of those shots of yours, Danny (bloody brilliant, I might add!), didn't see any rolling shutter effects ...
I've kept three of them in a folder John. Around 6 have gone in the bin

P1010058.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1011428zz.jpg

P101009611.jpg

Since then with the shutter ripped out and in silent with a small sample of fast birds

P1010670.jpg

P1010671.jpg

P1010672.jpg

P1010880-2.jpg

P1010881-2.jpg

P1010882-2.jpg

P5161424-3.jpg

P5161425-4.jpg

So it's not something I really worry about John. If it was a major issue, I would dump it. At the moment the FD 300 F/2.8L sits on the E-M1. The 500 F/4.5L on the E-M1 MKII and that's always on silent shutter. On the E-M1 you will get it, but not that often IMO.

All the best over your way John.

Danny.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Why don't you try Clearer Images in the UK, who specializes in fixing M43 equipment? They have a fixed charge of less than €100. I have used them myself and can't complain about their prices, speed of service, and quality of their work.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Definitely get the MK1 fixed. <$200 for a fully serviced MFT camera with a decent flip up screen is still very good value.

If you go down the upgrade to a mk2 route, the difference in sensor size and image size is negligible. The value is in all of the other features including better AF. The fold out screen is horrible.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Another vote for repairing unless you really do want to upgrade. Often the camera body's life is measured in shutter counts and likely this repair will entail getting a brand new shutter installed, so essentially a new camera, as long as your buttons and dials are in good working order (and if not be sure to point them out when you send it in for repair). That repair price sounds like it is still a bit cheaper than another used E-M1.1 and that would come with unknown condition and life expectancy.

But I am with you on the thought of moving the E-M1.2 for the updates if the price is acceptable to you. I am still waiting for a price point I like on one to move away from my E-M1.1 and really the only reason I am looking to upgrade is the cross type PDAF points as I still use the 4/3rds ZD 50-200mm lens (and to a lesser extent now the 12-60 SWD) which can sometimes struggle a bit without cross type ones. Otherwise I still think the E-M1.1 is a great camera with lots to offer (I still haven't explored all of its potential yet with some features having not really used; the E-M1.2 would come with even MORE special features to not use. ;)).

I am also with @RichardC in that I prefer the tilt screen so for me that would be a drawback to moving to the mark 2.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Personally I bought a new E-M10 II for 300 € rather than repair it for ~170€. Got a new battery so... The problem was that the LCD stopped working and I really need it. ~40k shutter count and non-Pro body.

And Olympus Finland will fix every problem with your camera for the same price. Problem is that you basically have to break the shutter yourself for example for them to change it. Otherwise it will cost more. I asked this question from them.

But you can't get a new E-M1 I so it is a tougher decision than mine. Personally I might upgrade if I'd shoot BIF much etc.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Personally it would be a question of "can you afford it?" Yes if all else is currently working on the camera than the repair would result in a new camera in some areas, but other areas are still getting on in age.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
And Olympus Finland will fix every problem with your camera for the same price. Problem is that you basically have to break the shutter yourself for example for them to change it. Otherwise it will cost more. I asked this question from them.
How can one break the shutter (accidentally, or by stupidity)? Any tips?

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
How can one break the shutter (accidentally, or by stupidity)? Any tips?
I joked to the Olympus representative that I might do a collective experiment on how long Olympus budget cameras shutter will last. And report to a forum.

Basically just shoot maximum bursts as long as it lasts. :)

He didn't say they won't fix it for the same cost. Just that he doesn't suggest to do it.

Not sure what I will do with the old E-M10 II. It works, just the LCD doesn't almost at all.

Real Name
Deryck
I dropped my em10 about 12 inches onto the floor and it broke the shutter, with no visible damage to the case. £150 for the local camera repair shop to replace it, and well worth it. I had about another year before I traded it and bought an Em1ii

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom