E-M1 mk iii - what settings are used when pressing Record movie button?

Can someone please explain what settings are used when pressing the red Record movie button when in one of the photo shooting modes (i.e. not in the Movie mode)? What can be adjusted?

I believe that at least the Movie specification setting (e.g. 4k @ 25 frames per second) is used, but other than that I'm unsure.

Which mode is used, P/A/S/M?
Is shutter speed / aperture / ISO / white balance preserved from currently selected mode, or perhaps from Movie mode?

Also, I haven't found any way to set one of the Custom modes to specific video settings. Does anyone know if there is a way?

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
if you have your Super Control panel up (press info OK button (corrected) with the screen open until you get the settings grid), you can see what video capture mode is assigned to your current mode.

(edit 2: While what I said below is sort of true, you only get "clips" in regular stills shooting modes. Each video format can record a clip of up to 10ish seconds. You can record longer duration video in movie mode.

I don't use video very much but thought I understood the modes. Clearly, I need to spend more time with my camera!)

My suggestion? Play around with shooting video and different modes and see what the camera does.

(original reply content below)

like every other option in that panel, it applies to the whole Mode. PASM can each have separate capture modes set. As far as I know, the exposure mode follows the mode dial in Movie recording. P Mode in stills is P Mode in video. (camera picks ISO (if in auto), aperture and shutter speed).

If you copy a set of options into a MySet / Custom bank on the dial, those settings get saved there for easy recall.

Movie mode is kind of a bonus, if you want a specialized configuration for your video, and you probably do, you can specify that here. (also record long videos, not clips)

Last edited:

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
I want to delete that post, but parts of it are useful.

(edit 2: While what I said below is sort of true, you only get "clips" in regular stills shooting modes. Each video format can record a clip of up to 10ish seconds. You can record longer duration video in movie mode.

I just quoted myself.

ONE of the video modes is Clip mode. The others let you record in larger chunks at definable settings. You can store those in your settings banks along with the other settings as mentioned above.

My pledge, to you, Jakob (and anybody else who has put up with this), is to spend some time with the video settings in my camera so the next time I open my laptop on this forum and try posting some tips, I know what I'm talking about.

Good shooting. :)

Thanks for the effort, robcee! 😁

I took your advice and did some investigations. Here are my findings so far.

From what I can tell, using the Record movie button in any of the shooting modes starts (and stops) video recording in P mode, using the current settings for Movie specifications, white balance and (surprisingly) exposure compensation. Auto-ISO is used regardless of my ISO setting in the current mode or Movie mode.

The AF area is the same as that set in Movie mode. But the "zoom window" (green rectangle that is used for focusing by touch and for magnification) is the same size as in the photo mode in use. In other words, it's not limited to x3 or x5, as in Movie mode. (I'm not sure if that makes a difference for auto focus.)

The shutter speed and aperture are not shown when recording video with the Record movie button in a photo shooting mode, so I can't tell if P mode sets the shutter speed to double the frame rate, or what aperture is chosen.

The dials appear to have no function either.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom