E-M1 Mk I to Mk II Transition Questions

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
All good Ken and by the sound of it you likely would have zero issues anyway, but it's your personal call.

It still seems that most are being overly cautious and even you are basing expectation on experiences with other systems.

I'm going to put this in reverse context after using the EM1X and EM1mk2 FW31 since they both became available and i would not hesitate to pick up my old EM1mk1 that my son has on loan and use it with only the following concern...... there is no way i would use/trust the AFC to be up to par with the newer bodies, the rest would just perform in line with technical limits between the systems ... no zagging when it should zig etc.
The only reason i didn't use it as a third body for his wedding shoot was he forgot to charge the batteries!!!!

the AF/CAF is so far improved on the Mk2fw3x that even if it did zag i'm personally convinced you would still end up with more keepers :)

didn't 3.1 resolved 99% of the 3.0 issues covered in that particular thread anyway...?
I suspect things should go well, but I am now fighting against time for the rest of the week. I am glad to hear that the AF was improved, as I never found the C-AF on the MK I to work for me. I have higher hopes for the Mk II, and it sounds like I may be happy with the results.

Thanks,

--Ken

Last edited:

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
The only confusing change you may face (other than getting used to the articulating screen) is the need to enable AF+MF in the menu. Once you do that, you’ll have it available for both S-AF and C-AF. C-AF is much better, btw. Not so much for C-AF+Tracking (at least for me).

On the battery: I rarely ever deplete a full Mark II battery over the course of a day. I regularly did with the Mark I batteries.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
The only confusing change you may face (other than getting used to the articulating screen) is the need to enable AF+MF in the menu. Once you do that, you’ll have it available for both S-AF and C-AF. C-AF is much better, btw. Not so much for C-AF+Tracking (at least for me).

On the battery: I rarely ever deplete a full Mark II battery over the course of a day. I regularly did with the Mark I batteries.
I do not think that anybody has Tracking fully worked out, so I will not hold Olympus to a higher standard than anybody else. Yes, some have greatly improved on it, but not enough to get me to want to rely on it.

--Ken

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I do not think that anybody has Tracking fully worked out, so I will not hold Olympus to a higher standard than anybody else. Yes, some have greatly improved on it, but not enough to get me to want to rely on it.

--Ken
:) I have tracking worked out fairly well for Tennis and some motorsport but it took some practice and experimenting a little.... but like cross most brands it takes some experience both with the camera and the sport.... Once you learn the idiosyncrasies of each then your tracking performance goes up.
:)

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
:) I have tracking worked out fairly well for Tennis and some motorsport but it took some practice and experimenting a little.... but like cross most brands it takes some experience both with the camera and the sport.... Once you learn the idiosyncrasies of each then your tracking performance goes up.
:)
I leave that as something to look forward to after I have what I need worked out (and the same goes for my D500). Always nice to have something new to look forward to learning.

--Ken

I have found Tony Phillips' book on the Mk2 most helpful and may be worth a purchase & read: https://tonyphillips.org/product/em1-ii/?v=6cc98ba2045f He explains the more arcane features in plain english. He hasn't updated for 3.1 but I am sure he will do shortly (this has prompted met to contact him and ask). I have the PDF on my laptop and tablet and dip into when I am away on trips for a reminder on the more obscure features.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom