1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1 Mark II?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mcasan, Feb 4, 2015.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    E-M5 Mark II should be announced tomorrow. There are lots of new features and improved specs.

All of those improvements begs the questions:

When will we see a E-M1 Mark II? Not until 2016?

What will we see new above and beyond the improvements made in E-M5 II?

2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Who knows - start a rumor, become an internet legend! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    Certainly we will see a E-M1 Mark II, just in the same way as all techno gadgets evolve with new features: iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6...
    I hope the new model includes a GPS, dual memory card, better noise management...

4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    E-M1 mk2, according to some reliable sources, will be announced at 2015 Photokina. It is rumoured to be FF camera which can accept also m4/3 lenses, with a 2x crop factor of course.

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    That made me laugh, thanks.

6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Am I an internet legend now? [emoji23]

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    How is any M43 body anything but a full frame body? A M43 sensor is not a cropped down 35mmFF sensor. It is a totally different aspect ratio. All M43 bodies I know about are all FF M43 bodies.

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    All this MII business is all a lot of fluff so long as Olympus is stuck with sensors from 2012. (The E-M1 has one that's a bit newer from Panasonic, but it's no better than the '12 Sonys.) Without better performing sensors, there is no fundamental improvement in technical image quality.

9. Between three and five years is probably a reasonable camera body product cycle for a relatively mature system. The E-M5 made it three years to the month between the announcement of it and now that of it's successor the E-M5 II.

10. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    If Olympus keeps to the same 2-year schedule as with the E-M5/E-M5 Mk.II (announcing at the current show for E-M5, Photokina for E-M1), we will see the next iteration of the E-M1 in the Fall of 2016.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Three years, not two...bought mine back in early 2012. :smile:

12. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    3 years is OK, given the current lineup. It's not Sony esque :)

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, I agree. Every camera since the E-M5 has been a rehash to some degree of the same ingredients. A shot taken with a 2012 E -M5 and today's new Mark II will be very nearly indistinguishable in IQ (plus or minus some AA effects). Oly needs a new sensor to keep fresh. I don't want more Mp necessarily, but I'd sure like better noise performance.

14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    But what if there is nothing left to do right now in sensor tech that is economically sane to implement. Many other things in tech are moving fast forward. Why should Olympus and we users stick with our old sensors in our outdated bodies when we could at least have old sensors in new tech bodies. Sensor is just one small part of the process of photography. I would even argue that there are many other things to innovate and fix in our cameras that "prevent" us from getting the picture we want when the moment comes. One is much more likely away from his/her favourite camera forum and ready to shoot if he/she has a camera body that is comfortable and easy to use and reacts to every command without delay. Even the best sensor is worthless if it's misaligned in the body, and all the knobs, dials and strap lugs are falling apart, not to mention cracking bezels. Yes I am looking at you Olympus. Give me a tool with old 16 mp sensor that can be used outside the house too. That would be the "real mark two".

15. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Well, there are two options: E-M1II or E-M3.

If they bump the sensor, it may be an E-M3. If they catch up with all features added in the meantime in E-M10 and E-M5II and expand a little - it's likely an E-M1II.

I would really like them to finally settle on a model numbering scheme - previously they had E-XYY consume,r E-XY prosumer, E-X pro. The X would go up with the next generations. However based on the "Mark" notation they started, I assume that they have settled on: 10 - consumer, 5 - prosumer, 1 - pro. Whatever, as long as it's consistent. This notation works, but it will get confusing again if they come up with an E-M3. They really need some structure there.

16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Actually, Thom Hogan says that Oly is hinting at an E-M2, soon-ish.

17. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I'm in no hurry for an E-M1 II or an E-M2. I am still enjoying my E-M1 and still discovering new goodness.

If the E-M1 becomes superseded then I fear that the firmware will freeze too, and I like getting little firmware bonuses.