E-M1 Mark II USB-C

missallpc

New to Mu-43
I recently purchased a E-M1 MII and found they had changed to a USB-C connector. I have devices (intervalometer, and a remote release) that I used with my E-M5 that are mini USB. Are the 2 compatible and will a simple adapter work?
Thanks for you input.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Unlikely. I had a remote with interchangeable jacks. When I went from E-M1 to E-M1 mk II it didn't work. Ended up going with the remote from Olympus. Easier with less messing about.

There's an intervalometer built into the E-M1 mk III btw.

runner girl

Mu-43 Veteran
I had the same issue. After ordering and returning a couple of third party remotes, I have switched to using my phone via the Olympus app. It works really well and now I have one fewer things to cart around. I don’t know why I didn’t do it earlier. I had tried the app at home and had some connection issues as the phone “wants” to connect to my home WiFi. In the field the connection is faster, unless I’m someplace with a strong public signal. If that’s the case I just go into settings and manually choose the camera.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
I had the same issue. After ordering and returning a couple of third party remotes, I have switched to using my phone via the Olympus app. It works really well and now I have one fewer things to cart around. I don’t know why I didn’t do it earlier. I had tried the app at home and had some connection issues as the phone “wants” to connect to my home WiFi. In the field the connection is faster, unless I’m someplace with a strong public signal. If that’s the case I just go into settings and manually choose the camera.
Depending on your phone settings, the reason your phone wants to reconnect to your wifi network is because it detects the phone's network connection has no internet. You can turn this off or tell it to connect regardless. Similarly, you can disable detection of open wifi networks.

Regardless of where I am and how many wifi networks are around me, I never have to connect my phone manually, I start wifi on the camera, open OI Share, my phone then joins the camera's bluetooth network and then automatically joins its wifi network.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
The M1.2 doesn't use the BT+Wifi connection method. One needs to directly connect the wifi.

missallpc

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As it turned out the connector on previous OM-Ds was not a mini USB. I don't know what it is but mini won't fit. I have used the Oly app on my phone. I works great except it seems I always get a call or text when I'm waiting for some event like a bird taking flight. I guess I will have to resurrect an old phone and dedicate it for Olympus use.
Thanks for your input

Rob Trek

Rob Trek on Youtube
I bought the Pixel USB wireless remote trigger for my E-M10ii. The receiver used a 3.5mm to mini-usb cable. I simply bought a 3.5mm to 2.5mm TRS adapter and plugged in using a regular TRS audio cable to the 2.5mm jack on the E-M1ii and E-M1iii. Works fine.

missallpc

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unlikely. I had a remote with interchangeable jacks. When I went from E-M1 to E-M1 mk II it didn't work. Ended up going with the remote from Olympus. Easier with less messing about.

There's an intervalometer built into the E-M1 mk III btw.
As it turned out the connector on previous OM-Ds was not a mini USB. I don't know what it is but mini won't fit. I have used the Oly app on my phone. I works great except it seems I always get a call or text when I'm waiting for some event like a bird taking flight. I guess I will have to resurrect an old phone and dedicate it for Olympus use.
Thanks for your input

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Thanks for your input
It'll be type B mini USB from memory. Very rare, don't think I've ever seen it used outside of cameras.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I believe it was Olympus proprietary, as it used to have the video connection on it as well. For the Tough cameras it was a USB6 cable. You should be able to get one from Amazon or eBay in normal situations.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom