1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 lockups

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Oct 22, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Over on the UK E Systems forum, there is quite a bit of chat about E-M1 freezes/lockups/crashes (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29612). I haven't seen anything posted here which is odd since I would think the user base is larger. Does anyone have any comments, one way or the other?

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I have had 3 lock ups with my E-M1 over the 2 1/2 weeks I have had the camera - all slightly different. In 2 cases a simple off/on solved the problem and in 1 case I had to take the battery out and re-insert. I actually had far more problems with the E-M5 but I think I had a particular problem whereby the camera would quite often not turn on unless I took the battery out and reinserted.

I am not particularly bothered. I think every camera that I have ever had has had lock ups occasionally. Although I have only taken 500 shots I have 'fiddled' with the camera a lot. I also do things like change lenses with the camera switched on.

3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I haven't had any lockups in two weeks. I'm not saying it's not possible but I haven't experienced anything yet.

4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I haven't had issues with either the E-M5 or E-M1, and I do change lenses with it on.

That being said I tend to turn it off rather than let it go to sleep so maybe that helps.

5. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    I have the EM-1 and have experienced lock-ups a few times. It's mainly when I leave the camera on, dangling from my shoulder so that it' has the opportunity to bounce around. I suspect that the dangling motion allows the shutter half press to be hit, the touch screen to be touched, the eye sensor to be triggered. On those occasions, I needed to remove, insert the battery to reset the camera.

I haven't experienced it lately. But I have been more diligent to turn it off although I still forget to turn it off 75% of the time. I also now have a Billingham Hadley Pro and I prefer to carry the camera strapless, in the camera bag. As an aside, I bought and recommend the medium upstrap with the quick-release and vectron loops which allows me to easily put on a strap when I'm out and decide to leave the bag in the car and take just one lens. The strap is the perfect match to the EM-1 and allows the camera to dangle very solidly from one shoulder.
    http://www.upstrap-pro.com/product/SG-QR/SG-QR-V.html

I haven't experienced lockups with this strap. I wonder if perhaps the length and configuration of this strap has helped reduce all the extra bouncing. The strap I was originally use when I experienced the lockups was my large upstrap transferred from my 1D Mark II. The strap was huge and allowed much more swinging of the camera.

There have been many times I've left the camera on and put it in the bag. I haven't experienced any lockups in those cases. The camera turns on without issue. Hence another reason I think the bouncing of the camera on a strap is a contributor.

I haven't tested this idea out yet, but if lockups became an annoyance, I would try disabling the touch screen. Perhaps if I'm carrying only the camera with lens attached and don't have my bag with me. But so far it hasn't been an issue. It's fairly easy to remove and replace the battery. So far I haven't missed a moment due to it. I've missed so many more moments with that damn point-shoot that I have been extra gracious to this nifty little EM-1. But I can see how it can eventually cause a moment to be lost and a photo opportunity missed. It takes a moment to realized it's locked up and then it takes another moment to remove and replace the battery. I hope they have a fix for it, but it's not a deal breaker for me since it happens so rarely, it's easily remedied, and I'm just taking photos for fun.

6. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    That just doesn't seem right to me,I carry my EP5 with a strap everyday and it never happens.Seems like a proplem that Olympus needs to sort out.

7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I doubt it. I use the EM1 this way and on the weekend left it on the console seat of a Boston Whaler while I was not shooting - no issues no lockups.

I do cycle the camera fairly often thought so this may be more of a factor.

8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Never had any issues with the M-1 & M5.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If only the E-M5 and E-M1 occasionally lock-up maybe it has to do with the way the EVF is built-in and eye-sensored?