1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 LCD Setting

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Mar 9, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm not sure if this is the same with the E-M5 and E-M10, but I find the fact that you can't set the rear LCD screen into an 'off' state very frustrating. By 'off' state, I mean having it off until you want to look at the Super Control Panel (SCP) or go to Live View or view a shot. In its normal configuration, the LCD is on until you put your eye to the EVF and then it turns off. You can toggle the 'info' button so that it shows a blank screen, but it is still 'on'. This wastes power and on the E-3 and E-5, the LCD was totally off until you pressed the OK button and invoked the SCP. You can turn the LCD off by disabling the eye sensor and you then have to press the live view button to toggle between the LCD and EVF, but this becomes very cumbersome indeed. For the life of me, I don't understand why you couldn't have a third option that emulated that of the E-5. This would invariably save power, possibly a substantial amount (who really knows), as I can't really see a need to have the LCD always 'on' or on standby.

Just an update. I sent an email to Olympus technical support in Japan asking about a potential firmware update to allow you to turn off the LCD. I've sent them emails before and they do respond, but they don't always understand what it is that you are after. Sometimes I wish I had a Japanese contact who could relay such ideas in Japanese and break the language barrier.

2. For some reason the inability to have a function button to turn the rear screen off is linked to having an eye-level EVF. For instance, you can assign a button to turn off the rear screen on a Pen but this function is disabled as soon as you attach an EVF even if you have the eye sensor turned off and are using the rear screen.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You're right, that's how my E-P2 works. I wonder though, why they did this with what is supposed to be their 'pro' camera, where battery power is usually an imperative. It may not draw that much power, by it may be sufficiently enough to reduce useability for some.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Always the inscrutable response:

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I guess I hadn't noticed it because I disabled the eye-detect sensor, precisely to save battery life.

The LCD/EVF arrangement has always been funky. Ever since the E-P2, if you're using the EVF and you press 'play' or 'menu' it displays on the rear LCD. You can manually switch it to the LCD by pressing the EVF button, but the next time you press either button, it'll be back on the LCD.

6. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    That's probably my biggest gripe with Olympus in general is the wonky behavior regarding switching between EVF and LCD (I know, the EVF *IS* an LCD, but you know what I mean!!!). I would love the ability to turn off the LCD entirely, and use the eye sensor to activate/deactivate the EVF only. Stealth is good in many situations...

I swear, the first camera manufacturer to offer open source firmware/API would sell like hotcakes to enthusiasts...