1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 L-plate Conundrum

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Tony Rex, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    I'm deciding between these two L-plates:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/L-grip-Q...rca-Swiss-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-EM1-/201160554531

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LB-EM1-Q...acket-Grip-For-Olympus-E-M1-EM1-/271870882738

The latter type is cheaper and has taller vertical bit that goes around the left strap lug. But the cable gap worries me.

aktdesc_820680913_00.

The clamp on my nodal rail is 40mm wide, and I guesstimated the gap to be 30ish mm. I needed this for panos, so if it's clamped aligned to the lens middle point there will be only 7mm on the bottom and 2mm on the top making contact. Is that safe enough or just play it safe?

Thoughts?

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I got the first one for a few reasons. First, I can use any tripod mount in either landscape or portrait position & secondly, I can use a grip strap with it if I so desire & thirdly, the portrait position has full clamping front & back. I would say give the cheaper one a miss & go for the L grip Quick Release Plate Bracket for Arca Swiss Olympus OM-D E-M1 EM1

BTW, mine has the iShoot brand on it, if that helps. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Metal-Qu...lympus-E-M1-/281294955161?hash=item417e7c6299

Here is quite a cheap price for it here, but they have only sold 38 items to date.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Release-L-Plate-Grip-Camera-Holder-for-Olympus-OMD-E-M1-EM1-for-Arca-Benro/171900918222?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140106155344&meid=a3eb281db9b0496cb5fda47949270127&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=281294955161

Another BTW, don't forget that for an accurate panorama the camera & lens should be pivoted at the nodal point for the lens being used to help keep near objects correctly aligned within the pano, so you might want to use a rail too, but then that's being a little pedantic perhaps.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    I'll get the same as yours then.

Good on ya Ross. Ta.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ross the fiddler

That last seller I listed is not only a cheap price but looks to be a good seller too. I would buy from them myself.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I actually got both designs for my E-M1 to try. The cable gap is no problem for vertical clamping in my experience if your clamp is wide enough. I just measured, the gap is 28mm but if your clamp is only 40mm, to centre around the lens it will only grab one side of the gap actually. Even so, if I do that on purpose it's still extremely stable - that's the arca swiss style design for you.

With my Sirui clamps (smallest is 50mm) the one that loops round actually provides an extra level of safety as it catches the safety pin, whereas the open one just slides out. The open design is very lop sided in the vertical orientation anyway, it only goes up so far and so to centre around the lens my clamp also only grips a part of it. When shooting astrophotography in the cold dark (think fumbling) the extra level of safety is very comforting. One downside of the loop design is that the vertical part is a slightly different thickness, so to switch from horizontal to vertical requires releasing the clamp a little more than usual.

I really prefer the bottom plate of the open design, however. Better snug fit, more contact surface for clamping, and the hole in the base is aligned with the lens. If I were to compromise and get just one I would agree with Ross and get this one.

In the end I did some minor metal work (filing) and got the loop vertical component of the other design to fit into the nicer base, so I can have the best of both worlds. :-D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    I'm glad to have found extremely knowledgeable and generous peeps around these parts.

@wjiang@wjiang I did spot the nicer base of the former, but missed the safety pin feature on the other. But it's a moot point, because the sliding clamp on my rail got no safety pin. Thanks for sharing your firsthand experience on both types.

@Ross the fiddler@Ross the fiddler No, you're right and not too pedantic either. I had bought the rail before this. I was gonna get either the 180mm or 120mm with fixed end clamps but settled for a 180mm rail + sliding clamp (subtent?) instead, to be used with the 12-40mm lens (and maybe the Samyang fisheye later). All three rails cost about the same. Again, this is me being a noob and a cheapskate playing it safe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ross the fiddler

The harder part is finding where the nodal point is for the lens you're going to use. At least the sensor position is marked on the camera. One way is to view the foreground objects & see if they move against the background & if they do then keep looking for that ideal nodal point where there is no shift of the foreground in relation to the background.