E-M1..I've lost the touch screen AF positioning icon....C'mon guys, help me out here.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I'm amazed, I considered that afer all this time, I knew pretty much, all there was to know about E-M1 settings.

BUT, I've lost the touch screen AF positioning, the "four corners of a square with the little hand".
    No way can I find to get it back, I have Off, Shutter Release and Magnify On/Off.
    I've even resorted to a full reset, with no luck...desperate I am :026:

Not Firmware V3 is it?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Does p.27 of the manual help? I haven't played with the magnify function but maybe you've accidently turned it on and it's as simple as turning it off to regain the little hand thing.
  3. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Afraid not, how does one turn the magnify off/on?
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    You do have Version 2.0 Manual? Here it is if you don't. http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/man_em1_ver2_e.pdf
    Also Version 3.0 additional info http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/correction_em1_e.pdf

You say (elsewhere) you have "Magnification by Touch with the size slider on the right & magnify touch point at the lower right." There should be an icon on the left when in that mode that should be [ ] OFF. Press it & it will turn off Magnify. Now you should have one of 3 options for Touch, Touch to focus, Touch to fire shutter or OFF (it will be there depending on which Info screen is in use as a screens with no details or level won't show it) & touching that will cycle through those options. Let us know what that is now as that was part of Version 2.0 firmware update. It didn't have the [ ] OFF function to turn off Magnification before (2.0).

See here for all the updates details. http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/ud2/ENU/0001/1090/index30a.html
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  5. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Yesterday I spoke with the Olympus UK service engineers.
    The camera they had on hand was an E-M1 with v3 firmware installed and it was the same as mine with the same three icons...OFF, MAGINIFY AND SHUTTER RELEASE.
    It would appear that the touch screen focusing and magnify have been combined in one icon....magnify on/magnify off....it does TS focusing and magnify.
    I questioned him about other members having the original icons after installing v3.
    This he could not understand because the camera he held in his hand had the same icons as mine.
    I suggested perhaps ther were more than one v3 out there, he had no answer.
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    "OK" button for OFF.
    ON is whatever you've assigned.