1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1 IS and x mm.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sniksekk, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I noticed something new today and it confuses me.
    This happened A/P/M/S mode at least and maybe more modes:
    If I press "Ok" in the circle dial, and choose "IS" option, in the bottom right corner it says 8MM (ATM). I can press "INFO" and change the number from 8 -1000.
    What should I do with it?
    Always write in the number of my focal length?
    Just ignore it?
    I'm confused.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, changing it does nothing unless you're using a fully manual lens. If you are, you should set it to the actual FL.

Barry

3. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Yes, you use that function to set the focal length of your lens, as the camera's in-body image stabilization depends on knowing the focal length. Set the wrong focal length and the stabilization won't be effective -- in fact, it can make things way worse than having no stabilization at all if the foal length you have set is very different from the focal length of your lens.

But, you should need to set the focal length manually only for manual lenses. Native lenses with electronic contact with the camera will communicate the focal length automatically, so you don't have to manually set it. Which lens are you using?

4. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Ahh!
    That makes sense.
    12-40 2.8 glued on.
    That might be the reason it's "grayed" out. :)

• Like Like x 1