1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1, iPad, FL300R, 12-40, Mixed Lighting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JamieW, Nov 8, 2013.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Since I don't own any 4/3 lenses, I opted for the free FL300R flash when I got my E-M1.

This morning I decided to play around with the E-M1 RC mode, and the WIFI feature, so I broke out the flash and iPad and started annoying my son, bed head and all.

ISO 200 1/60 F2.8 40mm
    Flash mode set to "Normal" (Wide and Normal are your only 2 options, set by a switch on the side of the flash), and "Fill". It's bouncing off the ceiling.
    The focus point was set and the camera was fired remotely using the iPad.
    Color is set to "Natural" and White balance is set to "Auto".

Bounced lighting:

[​IMG]

Direct flash:

[​IMG]

The TLL RC system was capable of balancing the lighting pretty nicely. The only light in this room is coming from 2 laptop displays, and it's very dark.

If I had shot this without the flash and metered for my son's face, the windows behind him would have been completely blown out. If I had metered for the background, he would have been a silhouette. The camera / flash did a great job of automatically balancing the background and the subject in both situations (bouncing and direct flash).

The Olympus Photo Sharing tool on the iPad to me is a mixed bag. I love that I can use Live Time / Live Bulb via WIFI, or even change the camera mode from WIFI. All of the basic settings are there. Even if the mode dial is set to say, Aperture Priority, you can switch to Manual via WIFI and activate Live Time from the iPad software. You can then view the image as it develops on the iPad and stop it when you're ready. This is pretty amazing for long exposures.

On the other hand, it you set up WIFI on the E-M1, you appear to have to give up control of the camera until you turn it off again. On the Canon 6D, I can hand the iPad to my wife and she can see the shots as I continue shooting. I can't overstate how nice this is in a studio setting. Enabling WIFI doesn't prevent me from using the camera on the 6D. On the E-M1, this seems like a huge oversight, but not something that can't be remedied via a firmware update. I hope to see this changed in the near future.

• Like Like x 6
  2. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Update: It seemed odd to me that nearly 50 people had viewed the post with no comments, so I loaded the thread in a different browser and realized none of the images were loading. I think my HTTPS Anywhere plugin was causing problems with getting the links earlier. Oops, sorry about that.

3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Well, the bounced shot is really nicely done. I appreciate the good job the Em1 did in balancing the available light and fill flash on the second, but its not my taste.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I really like the bounced light pic. Yes, lack of connectivity to useful tools for photographers is a huge mistake for :43:.

5. akhyar

akhyar Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    I agree with you on the Olympus Photo Sharing tool on iOS is a mixed bag.
    Sometimes it really get on my nerves when I forgot to switch of the wifi and my eye is on the viewfinder already but I can't press the shutter button.

6. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    good stuff. TTL works great with the EM5 too. I'm completely new to flash photography. I started out just bouncing the clip on flash in small rooms with a reflective card.

I just got the FL600R also and it's taking a lot of trial and error to make a shot come to life. But reading the strobist blog makes a lot more sense now. It's been getting the creative juices going. Unfortunately strobing appears to also fuel GAS for lighting accessories...

Here's my first "stuck at home" photo project. First shot is bounce TTL only. Second is all manual, bounce fill, and a snooted off camera flash for the key light.

Attached Files: