E-M1 in silver?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by riverr02, Sep 13, 2013.

1. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Will preface this by saying I'm very happy with my E-M5 and when all is said and done, I don't think I'll take many pictures that are significantly better with the E-M1 than I can do now. That said, I was curious that they've only announced it in black. Has anyone heard of a two tone (black-silver) one similar to the E-M5? Is it a "pro" thing that requires it to be black to be taken seriously ; ) ? Or are they trying to get the black version out now, with plans to introduce the black-silver one later to generate even more sales, especially from folks who want to trade to that one?

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I went to an event yesterday and I have some brochures of the E-M1 and went through the displays etc... there seems to be no evidence of a Silver E-M1. Although I am not sure maybe they will just release it as special edition or something.

3. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I'd love to see a silver E-M1. I think it's kind of a silly "tradition" to have only black "Pro" models. Yes, I know that it shouldn't matter what it looks like, but I love the looks of my silver E-M5 and I think a silver E-M1 would be impressive.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Geezz, even the Leica M has a silver model.

5. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well, I don't see any top of the range DSLR come in silver (except K-5?)

• Like Like x 1
  6. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    True, but I agree with folks that it would look quite nice in a two-tone silver-black pattern. I could also see how not having that color choice could be a reason not to buy the camera for some owners of silver lenses who don't particularly like the way they look on all black bodies.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'm more concerned with finding the best way to remove all of the logos from the E-M1. The one on the top plate, squeezed between some of the controls, looks like it will be especially problematic to get rid of, and gaffers tape will almost certainly not work there. :rolleyes:

8. SFW

SFW Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Calgary, Canada
    Stephen F. Winsor
    I own a silver E-M5 (and matching OM-2) and wondered what a silver E-M1 may look like. Here is an image that I GIMPed...

BUGCLYGCEAAkN8s.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Looks nice!

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Of course many who say that appearance doesn't matter would not be happy if it ONLY came in silver.

• Like Like x 1
  11. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    This is true. I deathly want a silver body, but black is definitely the smarter overall choice. Admin said there will be a silver version though... I wonder if it will be released later.

12. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    black don't crack. :wink:

13. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    I went to the Digital Show in Melbourne today where the black EM-1 with the 12-40mm lens was on display. I asked if they will also come out with a silver version of the EM-1. The answer was a quick NO.

But I think if there are enough demand, they may come out with a 'limited version' in silver.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I foresee someone making a decent wage if they can paint the E-M1 tone silver while also de-Logofying it, and do it for a fair price.
    Lets just hope it can be painted better than Kai from digital Rev did with his Nikon..lol.

15. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    If I understand the logic of Olympus E-M1 will be black only as well as the rest of the pro lenses. Silver bodies will be reserved for E-M5 successor (most likely called E-M5 mark II) and Pens. This, on the one hand, stops me from getting the E-M1 as I have the look of silver lenses on the black body. On the other hand, there is nothing special in E-M1 for me and I would rather jump on E-M5 mark II if it gets all the goodies of E-P5 and a newer sensor.

16. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I love Stephen's mock up - I want a silver one!! But I've had to order a black one. Oh well, I shouldn't be so trivial.

17. gollum14

gollum14 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    UK
    Martin Davey
    I see it as a tool to do a job, but have a preference for silver :smile:

18. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    When I first saw pictures of the E-M1 I thought it was really ugly. I think that was just because it wasn't what I'd expected, and I was worried it would be big. But the more I've looked at it the more I think it's actually rather classy looking.

I do hope I can still get a leather half case for it (not sure if that will be possible, given the side grip) to protect the bottom from scratches.

• Like Like x 1
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's not silly to want something that looks the way you want. A car is a tool and we pay many times more money to get it to look the way we want. If some guy thinks looks don't matter then I want to see him in sackcloth driving a Willie's Jeep.

• Like Like x 3
  20. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Well, despite Olympus' protestations to NOT putting out a silver EM1, it seems that's not entirely true : )

http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-201...-end-compact-camera-and-larger-sensor-camera/

If memory serves me correctly, the silver EM5 was significantly more popular with consumers than the black version. It's possible Olympus may have always planned on putting forth a silver EM1, but wanted to try to sell as many black ones to early adopters as possible- hoping some of those first buyers will also buy a silver version.

Rafael