E-M1 II's Digital Focus Limiter - A Brilliant Feature

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
So... I just checked the manual.

If you assign the function to a button, it's perfect. You press the button to set it on/off, and rotate the dial when pressed to choose which set (1/2/3) you want to use.
However, all my buttons are already assigned. I also don't want this feature to be selected if I push the button by mistake.

The only other way to select it seems to be going through the menus.
I'm surprised you can't select it from the SCP...
The best way to put it in place would be using the 1/2 Fn lever. But as with face detection, the level 1/2 doesn't recall AF limiter values... that's surprising.
What you can do is to assign it to a function, but only within a Custom BIF/action profile - you can assign different button combinations for different profiles. You don't have to overboard, just override a single button with a function that serves little purpose when shooting BIF.

Yes, but on the EM5.3, you have only one custom profile, that I already use for something else.
You have to go into the menus to select C2 and C3, and you can't even assign that to a button.

There is quite a lot of customization on Olympus bodies, but I don't know why, there are also some odd choices (why can't we select the Fn lever to memorize the face recognition & the focus limiter setting?) and some stupid limitations.

However, I know where to find the options, and I use to prepare my camera settings in advance.
So I'll assign it to a button when I think I'll need it.
(it's easier to reassign a button via the SCP than to select a custom mode...)

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Great post @ijm5012 - only came across it today because it had been resurrected - very informative - thanks for posting
Haven’t noticed you around here lately - hope you are well !
Thanks Rob. All good, just too busy. Bought a house back in June that ended up being basically a full remodel. Hoping to have it all done by the end of May, so that I can shoot some more racing this year.

Hope you’re doing well, cheers!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom