1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 II with new 18MP sensor?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mcasan, Dec 14, 2015.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I saw a brief video on Youtube saying there is a rumor about that E-M1 II will have a new 18MP sensor and be introduced at Photokina in September. Don't remember seeing that rumor before.

Anyone heard of a next generation 18MP sensor? Better noise, AF, or dynamic range?

2. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    News to me. Only speculations (or rumor, can't remember) I've seen is a 20 MP.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Someone found a Sony catalogue extract that listed a 20Mp 4/3 sensor. OTOH, the latest Panasonic sensor is 18Mp. We know that Oly use both Sony (E-M5 etc) and Panasonic (E-M1) sensors so choose your poison!

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Isn't the latest Panasonic sensor 20MP?

--Ken

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea - sorry Ken. You're right! In any case - 18 or 20Mp won't make a significant difference to what we have today!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    As far as resolution goes, I agree. But, I am always looking for better performance (dynamic range and/or low light sensitivity). A guy can hope.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    16 to 20MP that's 25% increase?

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Do remember that you are needing to expand both horizontal and vertical, so 25% total does not buy as much as it seems. This is just a bit over 10% on each side. Yes, it is a gain, but IMHO, not a significant one.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I hope Olympus doesn't increase the pixel count by much, if any. I would much prefer an increase in dynamic range, usable maximum ISO or better action focus capability.

• Agree Agree x 9
  10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    One rumor I saw was that the new sensor would still be 16MP, however, it is built for global shutter. If that were true, it could mean the camera only has/uses electronic shutter. If we could get electronic shutter without movement artifacts that would be great. Better dynamic light range and better AF would be welcome also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes, just like the 12mp to 16mp sensor upgrade achieved little gain, along with the 8mp to 12mp before it.... :rofl:

Dunno why they bother... :shakehead:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    But the thing is that the global shutter rumor (or at least one of them) was based on a comment that claimed there's no jello effect. It doesn't automatically mean the camera has global shutter and it's 99% more probable that Olympus just has defeated the jello effect in some other way. I don't believe E-M1II has global shutter but I'd be very happy to be proven wrong. :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    What if they went the A7s route and dropped back to 10 or 12mp with the focus on low noise? (They wont, but it would be as useful imo as the extra resolution jumping up to 20mp would be for my uses)

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    There's not a whole lot of evidence to support that larger photosites actually do much to improve low light ISO performance. At least not until you get into nuclear ISOs. When downscaled to the same resolution, the A7r II's 42MP does just as well in low light as the 12MP A7s.

The 12MP is more for 4K video without needing as much pixel processing.

Not to mention that an A7s equivalent for M4/3 would only have 3MP...

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I know you are being sarcastic, and you have a point, but it is the wrong point entirely.
    The great step up from 12mpx to the Sony 16mpx sensor was nothing to do with megapickles, and all to do with DR and high ISO noise. A massive improvement which brought Olympus cameras level with their competition in those areas.

And as for earlier sensors : there will be plenty of enthusiasts who bothered to analyse the 10mpx to 12mpx Olympus sensor jump and despaired to see worse noise and worse resolution, the significant gains being in the bodies which contained the newer sensors.
    If my old e-410 could do what this little e-pL7 can do (never mind the sensor) gimme back my ten megapickles!!

It's just not as simple as you'd like it to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Here is the link to Sony's IMX269 20mp 4/3 sensor. I'll be interesting if the E-M1ii gets this.

Sony Global - Products

17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The rumor site has a rumor that the new PEN will have a 20mp 4/3 sensor so it would seem 20mp is likely for E-M1 II.

18. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Yes, but not likely the 20mp sensor from the GX8.

Rencontre avec Haruo Ogawa président d'Olympus pour la partie image - Focus Numérique

"It's true that Panasonic already uses a sensor 4/3 "20 megapixel, but for us, there are still some problems. When we are satisfied management of electronic noise, then we can consider its use."

• Like Like x 1
  19. Geos

Geos Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 12, 2013
    NYC
    If more MPs are so terrible why does the Sony a7rII have 42MP and Canon 5DS R have 50MP? More MPs are NOT bad if noise is well controlled. A low noise 24MP m4/3 sensor is not out of the question given how quickly technology moves.

20. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

TBH, I don't think the noise is all that bad at iso levels under, say, ISO 3000 or so. Though I rarely go above iso 800-1000. A sensor that stressed low noise without significant other image quality improvements would hold no interest for me.