1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1 II will have dual SD slots

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mcasan, Jun 28, 2016.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    One more way to attract Pros to m43. Hopefully the package allows the user to decide if the two slots are writing the same image in the same format both cards....or.....both image in two different formats (raw and jpg) to separate cards.....or.....write the images to the second card when the first is full to give extended storage....in the 500GB - 1TB range depending on the cards used.

(FT5) The new Olympus E-M1II has a dual SD card slot! - 43 Rumors

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Would be nice to see and a first for mirrorless (other than the new Hasselblad).

3. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    XPro2 alreadyhas that. it is not a first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Definitely a nice feature that can help attract pros to the system.

I couldn't imagine shooting an event like a couple's wedding with a single camera, only to realize that the SD card is corrupted and you are left with no images. I don't even know how to begin to approach a situation like that. Fortunately now you can set up card slot two as RAID 1, so there is a backup of everything. IMO this was the biggest "pro" feature missing from m43 cameras, and I'm glad that they've implemented it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    My first thought was I could buy cheaper SD cards with less storage and just use them both.:doh:

6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Now they just need to redesign the the vertical grip to more like the Canon (only other camera I have experience with but believe the old 4/3 grip was similar) or better yet make it fully integrated.

7. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    That is a likely possibility as well. Hopefully Olympus will give us the options to:
    • Use slot 2 as a redundant backup (both cards have the same RAW + jpeg files, is a security measure against a corrupt card)
    • Use slot 2 for RAW images, with slot 1 for jpeg images
    • Use slot 2 as a spill-over so that when slot 1 fills up, the camera just starts writing to slot 2
    This way people can use the dual slots however they prefer.

8. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I doubt we'll see an integrated grip like the 1D series from Canon. But what do you mean about redesigning the grip to be more like Canon?

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I go back and forth with the grip. So I think having it separate is still the best solution. But for sure dual batteries and cards both need to be accessible with the grip on.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    That's right, I forgot that one. I don't follow Fuji that much. I know it's one of the knocks on Sony's system. But Fuji did go with one UHS-II and one UHS-I if I'm reading the specs correctly. Not sure why they did that. Canon got some harsh complaints with the 5D series when the CF and SD slots had greatly different write speeds. I know some stopped using the second slot on their 5D because of it.

I hope, if true, Olmypus goes with similar specs for both slots.

11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    FPBGBGE7

It has a piece that goes into the body where the battery goes, this does two things. It makes the whole setup a bit more rigid and allows access to both batteries without removing the grip (both batteries goes into the grip).

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Oh OK, I know what you mean. Yes, the grip itself holds 2 batteries, and then it just feeds the electrical connection up in to the camera body. My question with a design like this is, what do you do with the battery door? When open, it sits 90° to the plane of the bottom of the camera.

13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Some grips actually have a place for the door or contacts cover to be stored on the grip, between the bottom of the body and top of the grip.

14. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    Oh boy, more options for their fun-house menu system :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    This was the way the old Oly grips worked. The E-1 had a little spot for the door and the E-1 weather sealing was great.

olympus-shld-2-battery-grip-set-e-1-1134-746e6c4d3035ac2bb6af3b17eecfcaaf.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    That's what they need to go back to.

17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I wonder why Panasonic didn't do this for the GH3/GH4, and why Olympus didn't do this for the E-M5/E-M5 II/E-M1?

It surely seems like a better, more secure design.

18. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    My guess is it is cheaper to manufacture. Both the grip and the body. Also it may well be that the contacts in the battery area take more damage because of their location rather than a separate connector on the bottom. Also it may well be easier to weather proof the new design.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    More secure? I'm not an engineer so I don't know. But I always found the ones that use the in battery compartment connectors a pain in use. Or at least a pain to go from using to not using the grip. With the bottom only attachments it's simple. Want the grip? screw it on and vise-versa. With the in battery compartment ones you have to remove or install the door each time, and that could become a weak point.

20. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The current design is definitely easier to use for reasons you mention, but it isn't as secure. With the current design, you have the 1/4-20 screw in the center, and two lugs that are about 5mm tall on opposite corners of the grip that fit up in to the bottom plate of the camera. At least with my GH4, there is some flex between the grip and the body, and while it won't fall off, it certainly isn't a confidence-inspiring feel.

With the grip that fits up inside the battery compartment, you have probably a good 50-60mm of engagement up in to the camera body, along with the 1-4/20 screw and small locating lugs, which should greatly reduce the amount of flex present between the grip and camera body.

As for easy of removal, how often are you out at a shoot, and in the middle of it you need to quickly remove the battery grip? Every time I've used the grip on my GH4, it was for an all-day event where I never removed the grip from the camera. Typically if I'm mounting the grip, it's for good reason as I know I'll be using the camera all day, and want the extra battery life or improved ergonomics.

• Agree Agree x 1