E-M1 II - Shutter switch bounce?

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Odd problem. While out shooting with a flash, the shutter will sometimes fire two exposures. The flash fires on first, but second shutter firing is so quick the flash doesn't recycle and I get a dark image. Might happen a couple of times in a shooting session.

It seems to fire the second time when I release the shutter button. The first will show the playback screen as AF+/- +1 as the green AF dot and green square confirm the first shot (The +1 is the AF tuning number I set so that is right.), but second dark image the AF+/- is blank or black so the second shot must be firing in S-AF mode when I release the shutter button.

One time the screen went dark but all settings were shown as if the shutter was closed. Had to pull battery to get it to operate again as power switch had no effect.

Single shot silent mode, or the diamond one.

I'm guessing the switch may be getting dirty causing a bad shutter button response.

Anyone see this before?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Could it be the battery perhaps a third part one? Not the same thing but the other day I had a situation where shooting with the 3rd party battery which was probably getting a little low, started to cause weird non-shots when I pressed the shutter. I would get a momentary act like it was taking the shot, give an overexposed EVF but no picture would be taken. Switching out the battery solved it.

I had another situation back when shooting with the E-3. Sometimes the mirror would lock up and then nothing. Dead and the mirror stayed up. Had to remove the battery. Battery showed full charge. For a while I thought it was the camera and even sent it in to be looked at. Finally figured out it only happened with this one battery and once I removed that battery problem never came back.

So you might want to keep track of when it happen, which battery do you have in the camera.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Anyone see this before?
Yup, many times and hardly limited to this body. I suspect it comes from hovering somewhere between half- and full-press. When it happens to me, I choose to take it as confirmation that my approach to the shutter button is as gentle as it needs to be, or ever so slightly more so.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yup, many times and hardly limited to this body. I suspect it comes from hovering somewhere between half- and full-press. When it happens to me, I choose to take it as confirmation that my approach to the shutter button is as gentle as it needs to be, or ever so slightly more so.
But is that even possible if you are not in drive mode? If you are in S-AF, wouldn't you have to release the half press as well before you could reshoot?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have noticed the same on my EM1.3 but on my EM10.2

On the EM1.3 I put it down to the mushy buttons and shutter release, there just does not seem to be a definate click to anything.

Is the EM1.2 the same or do the buttons and shutter release have better tactile feed back?

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
But is that even possible if you are not in drive mode? If you are in S-AF, wouldn't you have to release the half press as well before you could reshoot?
Presumably it is caused by the contact closing repeatedly, perhaps due to some resonance in the system, perhaps a slight tremor in the finger, perhaps who knows what else. Nevertheless it happens. I seem to remember the D7100 doing that once or twice.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
My m5ii does this quite often when I useing the cable release.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have noticed the same on my EM1.3 but on my EM10.2

On the EM1.3 I put it down to the mushy buttons and shutter release, there just does not seem to be a definite click to anything.

Is the EM1.2 the same or do the buttons and shutter release have better tactile feed back?
Interesting it is happening on your E-M1 III given it is fairly new.

Could be mushy buttons in the two models. I haven't seen this happen on the E-M1X yet so it sort of surprised me to see the E-M1 II doing double-shots where the flash fired once, yet I got two photos. One lit right, and second was dark from no flash. Might explain why the green AF square on image review fails to show at times as well.

I know from playing with the Arduino processors and programing them that a switch debounce often needs to be written into the code for noisy switches. Might be Olympus overlooked that.

Guess I have to live with it if the E-M1 III does it too.

Thanks for feedback.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
It seems to fire the second time when I release the shutter button.
This puts me in mind of a digital piano I had. After a few years of very satisfactory use, a particular note developed this same pattern of double firing, that is, it would play the note initially honoring the input force (loud, soft, etc.) but, randomly, on release, the note would sound at full volume. Under no circumstances was it ever anything less than horribly distracting. When practicing with headphones on it was most alarming. This note was also in the middle of the range and so there were many opportunities for the digital piano to pull a gotcha.

Being a handy sort, I determined that the keys were mounted in octave blocks and the force sensors were part of each key assembly. I switched that block to the top octave, where fingers seldom go (at least my fingers), thinking that would sweep the problem under the rug. You may have guessed already - the behavior persisted despite the newly swapped-in block of keys. Apparently, finding that gremlin was way above my pay grade.

Just to suggest that the referenced behavior may not be entirely the fault of the switch.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Interesting it is happening on your E-M1 III given it is fairly new.

Could be mushy buttons in the two models. I haven't seen this happen on the E-M1X yet so it sort of surprised me to see the E-M1 II doing double-shots where the flash fired once, yet I got two photos. One lit right, and second was dark from no flash. Might explain why the green AF square on image review fails to show at times as well.

I know from playing with the Arduino processors and programing them that a switch debounce often needs to be written into the code for noisy switches. Might be Olympus overlooked that.

Guess I have to live with it if the E-M1 III does it too.

Thanks for feedback.
I seem to remember something was wrong with the second image on the EM1.3 as well but I do not remember exactly what it was, and it only happened when I first got it as I have changed how I use the shutter button now.

On my EM10.2 i used to constantly blip the auto focus with some subjects like lizards that movex their head a lot to keep it in focus till I got the pose i wanted. This did not matter with the EM10.2 as you could acidently press the shutter with its tactile shutter release.

On the EM1.3 I learnt i can no longer do this as the shutter release is too sensitive.

I would not let it worry you, you soon learn to use it. People also had problems with the hair trigger on the G9 as well, but soon get used to it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom