E-m1 ibis vs 35-100 f2.8 OIS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sin77, Oct 2, 2015.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I did simple test comparisons between the two and found that i get better results with OIS rather than ibis. Anyone has similar results?

5 axis is not as good as ois?

Another thing i would like to ask. Do you use S-IS 1 or S-IS Auto?

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    S-IS Auto and better results with IBIS with the 35-100/2.8.

3. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Yes even on my E-P5 in continuos release when there's no anti-shock. Fix is I own both a Panny 14-42 and 35-100 both with OIS for this reason alone. Thankfully, firmware 4.0 for the E-M1 will fix these long standing in the tooth issues. So long that Olympus and Ming Thien now don't see eye too eye because of this very issue.

S.IS Auto basically includes panning detection.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  4. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    bikerhiker, are you using S-IS Auto or otherwise?

5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    d
    S-IS Auto always.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    David - can you elaborate on this? What are the long-standing issues? Are you just referring to lack of full electronic shutter?

7. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You mean IBIS is better than OIS?

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I generally get better results with IBIS than OIS. There may be a few shutter speeds where OIS is better, but overall I just use IBIS.

9. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    E-M1 and E-P5's long standing issues are basically that while anti-shock is available in single release, it is not available in continuous release. This issue was resolved with the release of the E-M5 Mark II, the E-M10 Mark II and soon the E-M1 with FW 4.0. Sadly, this fix will not be included on my E-P5 probably due to the older generation TruePic engine.

Why is continous release so important to me and to Ming Thein and why I had to treat this as serious and find ways to resolve it?

Here's a video from Vincent Versace explaining the need to shoot 3 frames continuously even if you're not shooting sports. By the way, Moose Peterson and a host of others do teach this technique as well as I do.

To summarize. Statistically speaking, shooting 3 frames continuously on 1 scene will "guarantee" you 1 of those 3 will be sharp and in focus. It also prevents the wavy blurry artifacts that you get with long lenses as what Vincent called the "Conservation of Angular Momentum". This wavy motion can also cause noise to be more prominent in longer telephoto shots (there was an example of a bird of one poster asking why his shot is noisier) and that is, while the actual image is blurred (motion wave) through C.A.M (low pass filtered), the noise from the sensor IS NOT. Noise is not recorded through the lens. When you print or when you see the image on the monitor, you'll see this bright haloish wavy line around the contour of the subject matter and bokeh with a strong prominence of noise (because the recording noise is not affected by camera movement!).

You can eliminate these issues shooting long telephoto lenses using a 3 shot rule and holding your lens really steady. Most pros today apply a 3 shot continuous rule. Is it a quantum leap in image quality? The answer is a resounding YES, but not with the E-P5 if I don't use OIS or not with the E-M1 without firmware 4.0.

So in other cases, OIS allows full burst speed of your camera as the IBIS does not have to move.

Now with electronic shutter, all the better. With global shutter, this will be even more awesome. Hope the E-M1 Mk 2 will have global shutter.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Sorry, but the "Conservation of Angular Momentum" reference seems a little gratuitous: it's just geometry (kinematics at most). And its style is so arrogant that I'm not too willing to let it pass...

11. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, I thought that too. Conservation of angular momentum is a very specific concept in physics; all he's talking about here is inertia. I must say I didn't like his demeanor at all - definitely a bit full of himself!

12. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    From what I've read, it seems to be known that IBIS is good, but for the tele end, in lens stabilization is better.