1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 IBIS problem?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by walter_j, Mar 7, 2016.

1. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    After getting my camera back from repair - which included sensor cleaning, I notice that when I press the shutter, the image in the viewfinder shifts a bit. It doesn't affect the image (I think), but if it's on a tripod I _must_ turn off the IBIS, otherwise the same behavior ruins the photo. I think my E-M5 takes better photos with IBIS on than the E-M1 does with IBIS off when on a tripod. Does anybody have suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this - or perhaps its the normal behavior of the E-M1?

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Sounds strange. Are you using native lenses?

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    You should not be using IBIS or O.I.S. When your camera is mounted on a tripod
    It is routine procedure to switch off image stabilisation when using a camera on a tripod as ironically it can make images worse

4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I had this happen in my last repair also at Trinitek.

see this thread: E-M1 failure

I originally thought this was a FW4 issue but it was simply a repair problem. I sent it back and they rectified it. (my original repair was for the intermittent rear dial).

5. kmngq

kmngq New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2016
    whats wrong with leaving IBIS on?

6. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    The ibis moves a bit when on a tripod - when it doesnt need to, which causes the photo to be not as sharp as it should be. It needs to be turned off when on a tripod.

7. kmngq

kmngq New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2016
    what if im sooooo stable that my hands and arms act like a tripod?

im sorry, i just cant understand why being still (which is the goal to begin with) would cause the sensor to move.

8. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Olympus will probably figure this out - but its probably a ways down the to-do list. I'd prefer a F1.2 UWA lens sooner than later

9. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    apparently it's the go: IBIS when handheld (no matter how good/steady one is) and no IBIS when on a real tripod or immovable object
    I have not totally tested it myself I just know that my pix work when I follow the advice

10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The manual says to turn off the IBIS on tripod. This is true for almost any stabilization system from any manufacturer except those with a "tripod-detection" system.

That said, I did a few tests on this, with different lenses/shutter speeds, and I could not find any differences with IBIS on and off on a travel tripod (on E-M10).
    I suppose some specific tripod, lenses and shutter speeds, vibrations may cause some feedback problem in the IBIS system but I suppose it's a rare occurrence. So I do not think the OP situation is normal, maybe someone with the E-M1 could test the same shutter speed/lens combo.

Turning IBIS off also saves some battery so it can make sense anyway for long tripod work with magnify where IBIS works a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Olympus approved the repair of the IBIS, so they will repair it at their cost. This makes me nervous when changing lens now if the IBIS is that sensitive - especially in the field where dust and rain can get on the sensor. Too bad they don't have a 'park' setting, that allows cleaning the sensor without fear of damaging the IBIS.