1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 Gets 5 stars at dPs

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Hyubie, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    • Like Like x 6
  2. chrisca70

chrisca70 New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2013
    United States
    cool, thanks for sharing!

3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Makes me want one - awesome camera. :cool:

5. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I can't decide if I should jump on a reduced E-M5 now that they will be selling off like hot cakes, or if I should save until next year and get the E-M1. Either camera would be a huge upgrade from my E-PL2. :dash2:

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Yes, a huge upgrade in video quality, for sure, and video audio quality, and flashless indoor still image quality, but not necessarily an upgrade in the quality of stationary objects and landscapes shot outdoors. One of the reasons you don't see hardly any folks on this forum posting comparisons of stationary objects and landscapes shot outdoors with the E-M5 and E-M1 vs the 2-3 year old Pen cameras is because the old Pens were just as good or very nearly so. So if you are dissappointed with the outdoor results your getting with your E-PL2, you need to learn/practice opitimizing the exposure / white balance / gradation / sharpness settings. Or start shooting RAW and learn how to post process using the free Olympus Viewer 2.0 or 3.0 editing programs or other 3rd party editors.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    While it's nice of you to share your thoughts on my camera upgrade post, I'm curious what you are basing your opinion of my needs on. I did start a thread where I solicited advice regarding a few images I was unhappy with using a specific lens, but have otherwise not posted too many shots here. I don't think the 3 outdoor shots I posted are a full representation of my interests and what I shoot.

I'm not disappointed with the quality of my outdoor shots, for the most part. There are, however, some outings where I was not using they 17mm f/2.8 lens to the best of its abilities and it is these shots I was unhappy with. Being the complete newbie that I am, I'm pretty happy with the majority of the outdoor, good lighting shots that get. I do agree that I need to be more persistent with RAW shooting, improve my post processing skills, and keep practicing every chance I get. I also joined this community as a means of improving my pictures, and I feel the feedback I've solicited has been incredibly helpful.

My thoughts on upgrading from the E-PL2 stem from the fact that I have 2 active boys, who in no way could be considered stationary objects, and am often shooting indoors, in poor light. It was my understanding that the E-M5 (and of course the E-M1) are much better in low light. The improved video recording is a bonus as well, as I've all but given up on my camcorder but still record my boys frequently using my camera.

I was thinking that an upgrade would benefit me and improve the memories I'm trying to capture. I fully understand my shortcomings and am out shooting pictures, reading books, and participating in forums in an effort to improve my skills. Is this forum for seasoned photographers only?

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Yes they are much better in low light than your E-PL2 (or my E-PL1). My E-M5 is so good indoors that so far I have never used the flash whereas it would be essential to use it when using the E-PL1. And the indoor automatic white balance on the E-M5 and latest generation Pens is much better as well.

9. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    All reasons I am eager to upgrade. :) I avoid using flash like the plague, to my detriment in some situations. I love my E-PL2 and will not be getting rid of it, but I relish the thought of a better low light performing camera. I'm leaning towards a used E-M5 as this would be most cost effective and I can purchase one now instead of having to wait until next year (to save) for the E-M1.

10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    If improved handling speed and better low light performance are your primary concerns, I think you'll be quite happy with the E-M5. The E-M1 is marginally faster than the E-M5 in all aspects, but IMHO, the E-M5 is snappy enough. There is also minimal improvement in low light performance (mostly in color retention) over the the E-M5. The main differences between the two cameras, apart from ergonomics, are the on-sensor PDAF, which enables much improved AF speed and accuracy when using 4/3 lenses on the E-M1, and improved focus tracking ability (I must emphasize the word "improved", but not "stellar"). Unless these are important features for you, you should definitely go for an E-M5. The E-P5 is another option you can consider, although an E-M5 might be of better value compared to an E-P5.

• Like Like x 1