1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1 front/rear dials are different...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zensu, May 28, 2016.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    ...on my E-M1. I got this camera last year after it had been in production for about two years. I must say I've been concerned about all the internet talk of the rear dial failure. Mines' been working flawlessly but there is a very distinct difference between the two dials. The front dial is very easy to turn with just the slightest effort of my pointing/shutter finger. What is the name of this appendage? Back to the post, the rear dial is much stiffer to turn but my thumb is much stronger than my fingers so it's not a problem. My rear dial always clicks firmly in place and it's motion (based on my thumb) is smooth just as the front dial is smooth.
    The thing I wonder is do you guys/gals think that maybe Olympus has replaced this part since their early production runs? If your rear dial failed did you notice a different feeling between turning this rear dial compared to the front dial before the failure?
    I guess I'm hoping for a little reassurance in my main camera. I'm also thankful that for some odd reason I bought a 3 year extended warranty which I normally never do. Maybe my ESP kicked in when I got this gem of a camera.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I just had mine replaced as my extended warranty was coming to an end and the dial had been mildly acting up for some time. I have only used the new dial a bit, but do not seem to notice any difference yet. Turnaround on the repair was nothing short of amazing, especially in comparison with previous repairs.

--Ken

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    I had mine almost one year ago, and it is similar to yours. The rear wheel has stiffer clicks in it, while the front one have softer clicks. I think it could be because the rear one is more exposed to be turned by accident. But I'm just guessing...

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    You could be right Raptor7, I've been thinking the same thing but always, in the back of my mind, I've wondered if Olympus has been doing the fix without advertising it?

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My rear dial gives a little more distinctive click than the front dial. Stiffer? I can't really say - using my index (pointing/shutter:doh: ) finger for the front and thumb for the rear doesn't let me properly gauge the difference in effort to move each.

6. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    I also believe the rear dial, after the replacement, is a bit stiffer. I hope they fixed the problem.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is usually a disclaimer by most manufacturers that specifications etc are subject to change without notice, so I would imagine you would not hear about any changes during production in that area.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I have an older E-M1 I bought in December 2013 and a newer one I bought last year. Their rear dials feel the same.

9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Very true Ross. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude that Olympus is doing the best they can to keep their customers, I hope. Thanks to all who replied.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One hopes so anyhow. :)