E-M1 for long exposure/night photography setting recommendations!!!

abhisheks77

Mu-43 Regular
Hello,
I will be visiting Glacier National Park coming weekend and looking for some suggestions, specially for night photography.
I will be there on 3 August (at Many Glacier) and 4-5 August (at Rising Sun Inn) and new moon is on 31 July, so it will be just 4-5% visible. I can come out of hotel in late night and drive to Going to Sun road to get view of lake or mountain. And also for star trailing.
I have not played with long exposure, so I am looking for suggestions if somebody can help with what settings I would set, how long of exposure I would go.
I have OMD E-M1 with 12-40 and 50-150 (both pro) and prime of 45 and 75. I do have tripod which is necessary.
Please advice.
Thanks

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
E-M1 Mark I or Mark II?

I ask because the Mark I doesn’t handle very long exposures ( > about 15 seconds ) so well. And advice may differ for the different generations.

abhisheks77

Mu-43 Regular
E-M1 Mark I or Mark II?

I ask because the Mark I doesn’t handle very long exposures ( > about 15 seconds ) so well. And advice may differ for the different generations.
Yes I read it in few notes and I have Mark-1 😞

abhisheks77

Mu-43 Regular
I believe 60s will be too less for star trailing.
For landscape, mountain, lake, what setting should I use?

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
I believe 60s will be too less for star trailing.
For landscape, mountain, lake, what setting should I use?
For star trails, sometimes the best result is not to go for long exposure of a single frame, but rather a sequence of frames just bright enough to see the starts set on an intervalometer (like every 15 seconds with a 5 second exposure for example if the stars will show up), and then you stack them into the star trail. Also remembering to take up to around 5 or 6 shots with the same setting, with the lens cap on (can be used for the "Dark Frame Subtraction" in software such as StarStax).

Example of stacking from using all the frames from a timelapse sequence.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom