1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 focus bracketing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by silver92b, Dec 2, 2015.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I tried the focus bracketing feature but did not try it with macro shooting. I did try some wide open shots of a long lens on my camera. Just shot it hand held resting on a nearby surface and fairly close. No more than 12" away. Shot indoors in the evening.

E-M1 with 12-40 f2.8

PC010804-1.

PC010813-2.

PC010822-3.

PC010831-4.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    On that last shot (and the second one) you would need to increase the focus differential to get the whole range covered. If you are still on the default of 5 I suggest you try 8 next.
    It would be good next time to have a comparison shot of with the same settings but bracketing turned off.

3. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Actually, I used the largest focus differential but I think the focus stacking was not made for such a large range of focal distances. I did think afterward that doing a before and after image would be useful. I think I will try again.

4. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Here is a comparison of the focus stacking at the largest range VS a single shot without the stacking. Both shots were taken at f5.6 and the focus point was the same closest edge of the lens hood.
    Notice how the object appears closer to the lens with the focus stacking although both shots were taken with the exact same set up.

PC020849-2.

PC020850-3.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Did you use focus bracketing or focus stacking? You used both terms in your post. If you can't get it all in focus with stacking then move to bracketing.

BTW and just my personal opinion - I do not understand the watermark across the center of your photo - extremely distracting.

6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The reason it appears closer is that focus stacking crops the photo.

With focus bracketing you must focus on the nearest point and it moves the focus away from you.

With focus stacking you focus normally (i.e. not on the closest point) and it then starts closer than that point and moves through the point you started with and away from you. In this case try focussing on the knurled ring on the lens. With a few more tries you will get there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I used the in camera focus stacking feature. I use the watermark to discourage misuse of my images. Believe it or not, I have seen my images used in the internet for purposes I don't like at all.

8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks, I did wonder at first how to use the focus stacking/bracketing. After a couple of tries it seemed to work best by focusing on the nearest feature. I actually just tried it for fun and to see how it would turn out. Apparently it could be a very useful tool for product photography as well as for macro. I don't have the 60mm macro lens, so the best I can get is whatever the 12-40 f2.8 will produce. I wonder if it will work with other M4/3 or 4/3 lenses....

9. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Focus bracketing only works with m4/3 lenses.

Focus stacking only works with 60mm macro, 12-40 Pro, and 49-150 Pro

• Informative Informative x 1