1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1: Flash / No Flash

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sin77, Oct 22, 2015.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I came from using Nikon D7100 (and previous models), where I could assign a function button to stop flash from firing off. I find this feature very useful when it comes to event photography. When I take formal group photos, I could shoot one without flash and almost immediately shoot a subsequent one with flash.

I am wondering if E-M1 comes with such a feature? The fastest method I could think of is assign a Set to a function button. However, it is still not as fast (by split seconds). After I have released shutter, I have to wait for 1 second for buffer to clear, before I can switch to MySet. This 1 second is very critical for presentation of token and handshake shots. And also, MySet consists all pre-settings (e.g. white balance), which I do not prefer.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you set the 4 way keys to Direct Function the up key (^) is fixed for one function & the left (<) for Focus Target but the down (v) & right (>) are programmable. I have Drive Mode for the down key while the default (I think) for the right key is Flash selection & if it isn't already then it can be programmed to be. I recommend having the 4 way key pad set as Direct Functions for the convenience of using those functions from those keys plus it removes the accidental shifting of the focus point too as it requires that first press of the left key (<) first to change the focus target point which can then be changed by the keys or the respective dials.

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I don't know of another means other than what Ross suggested. I'm surprised anyone even knows about setting F3 to assign a function button to Flash Off, most people I know seem to like the FV Lock.

I'm curious as to how you find that useful. I have not been able to think of a situation where I would want flash one shot, but not the next, and then flash again for the next shot.

4. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    When shooting weddings, often my second photographer will get a (safe shot) with bounced flash, then go to flash off for an available light shot. Depending on what that available light looks like, I will often choose that shot to deliver to my clients.

5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I sometimes take an ambient and flash shot back to back, but I just turn the flash on or off. I guess I never thought about a button on camera to do that as it is not that common for me. Interesting.

6. Ross the fiddler

Using the Flash selection with the (4 way right) Function key or SCP (touch) & rotate the front dial one click quickly gets to either Fill Flash or No Flash in the selecting menu for Flash. It's too easy! But I have turned the power off the flash by forgetting that too.

7. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    If you're in a hurry, you can just double tap the 4-way right key, and flash is off. A right/left tap turns it back on....at least on my camera.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ross the fiddler

Yep! That'll do it nicely, but just don't be too quick with the double tap though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    The SCP remembers your last location, so pressing OK plus turning a wheel can adjust to flash off if you leave the SCP on flash mode. That would be my preferred method.

My other preferred method actually is just turning my flash OFF depending on what model you use. I often use canon speed lights with my Olympus gear so its just a quick switch on and off. The flash settings are retained at power off. I find this is fastest for me.

10. Ross the fiddler

Yes, the SCP is useful that way too.
    I hope you isolate the Canon flash TTL control pins (on the flash) to the camera then, since they (3 of them) are in the same same position but do different things.

11. TonyVentourisPhotography

Nov 1, 2015
    Never had a problem as long as I run them in manual mode only. I also use Canon based pocket wizards just fine.

12. Ross the fiddler

As long as others understand that Canon connections are not the same as Olympus connections & that you've taken a risk in doing so.

13. TonyVentourisPhotography

Nov 1, 2015
    Yes for sure, I don't recommend it...but then again never had a problem with that. I also use their Macro Ring light on my E-M1 with an adapted 100mm macro on occasion when I need more than 1:1. Otherwise I prefer the Olympus 60mm. However...I have had very good success using those flashes. The easier and cheaper road is the Yungnou flashes. I use those too.

14. Ross the fiddler

I would think a safer way to use Canon flashes (with TTL pins) would be to use an isolation hotshoe block so just the centre pin can connect.

Something like this might work.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  15. TonyVentourisPhotography

Nov 1, 2015
    Or i can just use a Plus X on the hotshot instead of a TTL based trigger. That works too. I will have to look up the isolation shoes. Never come across that before.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ross the fiddler

A
    Actually, it would probably be nice to know exactly what each pin does on each system & what voltage signals occur & if shorting matters or not. That requires research & brain power & I'm not up to that this morning. ;)