1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1 firmware v3.0

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Yohan Pamudji, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-m1-firmware-update-coming-features-list/

2 questions:

The press release says:

Previously Sequential H wouldn't continue to focus beyond the first shot--it would lock AF on the first shot and keep firing off shots without refocusing, so if you wanted C-AF with sequential drive you had to use Sequential L. The verbiage here makes it sound like that has changed and AF continues to adjust in Sequential H. Am I reading that right? If so I hope it's true.

Anybody want to take a guess at zero-second anti-shock being applicable to sequential drive now? Too much to hope for?

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Yes, you are reading that right. AF in high sequential shooting.

3. Yohan Pamudji

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    That would certainly be a welcome improvement. Never made sense to me that Sequential Hi was AF-locked on the first shot regardless of how fast or slow you configured the frame rate, and it was a common tripping point for newcomers to Olympus's cameras. Now I can have an actual Lo and Hi frame rate configured, both with C-AF--very nice.

Not holding my breath for 0-sec anti-shock during sequential shooting though since it's not mentioned. That would pretty much make the camera perfect for me.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That anti-shock improvement is possible on the E-M5 II because of the silent shutter feature, but I'm not sure that can be implemented on the E-M1.

5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've skipped the v.2.x updates. This one might be worth installing!

6. Ross the fiddler

What do you mean? V 2.x was really worth it with its improvements besides the added features!

7. Yohan Pamudji

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    I believe you're right about the E-M5 II having the capability of being shutter shock free, although I wouldn't bet on Olympus doing it right until I saw it myself.

On the E-M1, not sure why it wouldn't be possible for sequential drive since in single shot mode there's a working fix with 0-sec anti-shock. Maybe the shutter timing modifications are difficult to sync up in sequential. Whatever the case, it's a shame that this one issue won't go away completely short of upgrading to a model with electronic shutter.

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I mean that none of the improvements did anything that was important to me and my uses. They weren't even close to being worth going back and resetting all of my settings. If I could have updated without having to reset my settings, I probably would have done it. And it looks like v.3.0 will be worth the effort.

9. Ross the fiddler

The E-M1 0 second fix doesn't stop the first curtain shutter from operating & therefore it slows the the process down & would not be effective, however the E-M5 II uses the electronic shutter only for first curtain in sequential shooting (it might need selecting as such maybe, but of course, it can be selected as fully electronic) & would be effective because of that.

10. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    I was under the impression that the EM-1 0sec anti-shock used an electronic first curtain. Does this not mean that theoretically it could have an electronic shutter function activated in a future firmware update? I don't understand enough about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's an electronic first curtain - but only after the shutter has done a mechanical first curtain! Sounds odd, but I guess the shutter in the E-M1 (and other cameras with 0s delay) can't be programmed to do anything different. The EFCS therefore is simply an electronic shutter that starts the exposure electronically about 20ms after the mechanical shutter opens. This is enough to avoid vibrations caused by the opening of the mechanical shutter. it's not really 0s - it's actually about 20ms.

• Like Like x 1
  12. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It already has a fully functioning electronic shutter used for the EVF and video.

13. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Wasn't worth the hassle of setting up the whole damn camera all over again...

I'm still debating if it's worth it with this. I wan't to smack the engineer sint he head with a wet tissue whent hey don't think to have settings save files, or function set up via a PC/tablet/phone app, where you just select a button, then select it's function from an option in a drop down menu.

Z...

14. Ross the fiddler

No pain, no gain! :tongue: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, but it's not an electronic shutter in the sense that the start and end of a stills exposure can be controlled 100% electronically. The "0s anti-shock" uses an electronic first curtain that starts the exposure a short time after the first curtain opens, but it's still the mechanical shutter than ends the exposure.

16. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks for all the explanations. My (limited) understanding of the 'electronic shutter' was that it essentially relies on the camera reading information off the sensor a row at a time (I understand global reading is not yet possible). Is this not something software related that could be firmware updated?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

17. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Does anyone know if the EM1 will get the same video treatment as the EM5 II with this new update? Such as 24p, 60fps with a new codec?

18. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Not with this update, it seems.

19. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    I'm most interested in whether the new update 3.0 will improve auto focus in weak light conditions, because this is the biggest problem with 4/3 glass - they dont work under low light conditions :(