1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 Firmware V2 Update Error

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OldRadioGuy, Sep 15, 2014.

1. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    When trying to update the firmware of my E-M1 this morning I received the error "Unable to use this function on this camera." The software is detecting the camera, but it won't allow the update operation. I don't recall ever having this problem in previous firmware updates of my OM-D cameras.

I have tried: 1) two different cables, 2) with and without lens, 3) Olympus Viewer 3 and Olympus Camera Updater, and 4) standard run of software and Run As Administrator. I hooked up by E-M5 and got the same message.

Computer running Windows 7 x64.

Any suggestions?

Bob

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Wait a day or two, early adopters almost always run into issues. Especially on day one! Unless of course your life depends on the incremental changes.
    I bet it's nothing your doing, but possibly Olympus is still implementing the changes on their end.

3. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    Firmware Upddate

Make sure your drivers on the camera are loading. You can see them in Control Panel >Device Manager Also you should see the versions in Olympus Updater. I don't think Viewer works for these cameras. BE sure when "Storage" comes up on your LCD that you hit OK on the camera.

I just tried it and every thing seems to work, so it is not the server.

4. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    I thought the Firmware was going to be released on September 24th. Is it available now?

5. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    It is September 24 along with the Tether program "Olympus Capture"

6. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    September 24th....that's your problem

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Just as well...need some time to write down all those settings... :frown:

8. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    The update worked correctly today. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob

9. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    I thought so too, but got my official Olympus email today...I'm going to wait a few weeks, burned too many times by software (firmware) updates...and nothing on this list is attractive to me.

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes, agree - nothing compelling at all for me. I will eventually do it but I need to record all my settings first...

11. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I did my update yesterday with zero drama. Unfortunately today was a work day so I couldn't test my newly refreshed camera.:frown:

But now I have a four day weekend, so I guess I know what I'll be doing.:smile:

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I did mine today, but not before recording all my settings first. It can be a good time to rethink the settings put in previously but it is also useful to know what was in there before.

13. Ross the fiddler

I put my previously used SD card back in to take a few test shots & later discovered I couldn't download or read them in Windows Explore etc, so I had to format it to make it happy again.

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The only thing that interests me in this update is the keystoning perspective control feature - but I'd like to see it get reviewed and used by someone before I'll take the plunge on the upgrade.

15. Ross the fiddler

It allows / \ to \ / adjustment in horizonntal or vertical directions with front & rear dials, one at a time but not both together & if saving JPEG & RAW you will have an adjusted JPEG & a normal RAW. It is the last option in Camera #1 menu & can be programmed to a key for a quick select, but it is one of many functions that is there & you use it if you want to or you don't. I would suggest just update to FW 2.0 because there are so many little improvements, but it's your choice. BTW, Focus Peaking is a lot smoother & better now.

16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Agreed.

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I will be interested to see how this compares to PP'ing raw files.

18. Ross the fiddler

The Keystone adjustment in Capture One Pro 7 (8 is coming out now) is very nice & flexible whereas this gives a quick alignment for an OOC JPEG & I always save RAW with it as well, so it can give you the necessary framing at least for a better post processing result later (of the RAW file). It can also give you an (instant) 'Alice in Wonderland' result too. :wink:

19. Ross the fiddler