1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 firmware 3.1 (& E-M5 Mk II) released

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ross the fiddler, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-M1 3.1 firmware is now released (along with E-M5 Mk II FW 1.2 as promised here in this thread) but be aware, it does reset all the settings except lens AF adjustments as seen in this screen shot.

E-M1_FW_3-1_update.

Also Olympus Viewer 3 has been updated to
    I've updated my E-M1 & reloaded all the menu settings back in again. It does take a few minutes to do from a saved list, but may take longer if you haven't recorded your settings somewhere.

*chr

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Did you update to 3.1 from firmware version 3?

(I was hoping it would only reset all the settings with major firmware updates...)

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Does LV Boost 2 worth it?

4. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

One day, I will update. Still can't be bothered due to have to re-do all the settings.

This seriously should not be an issue in this day and age though...

A firmware update that let me save my settings as a file, so I could just re-apply it for all future updates? That's an update I'd bother with in a heartbeat!
    Z...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ross the fiddler

I did it from 3.0 & yes, it did reset everything (except the AF lens data).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ross the fiddler

You can not bother & miss out on all the additional features & fixes then! :p ;)

7. Ross the fiddler

I think that if you decide to point your camera at the sky at night or some other dark area that could do with LV Boost then you have the option of LV Boost 1 or 2 now & so I think it's worth it.

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I thought I had dodged the update reset silliness by getting a used body at v3.0... *sigh*

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    So OV3 now supports high-resolution raw files?

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you do astrophotography? If not, then no. It lags like hell and makes focusing almost impossible. It's only useful on a tripod for composing in the dark, so that you don't start firing off multiples of 20s exposures blind. I used to do test shots at super high ISO, now I can flick LV2 on and see. Lags too much to leave it on LV2 though, LV1 is what normal people doing manual flash photography or using NDs should use.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Does that mean that the lens adjustment data I dialled in for my 50-200 swd will go, or does that count as AF adjustment?

12. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Agreed, I just wish they had allowed it to be bound to a button to toggle it on or off... frustrating that they don't listen to feedback, having to dig through menus makes toggling it on and off time consuming.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I've always been a "if it works don't fix it" kind of person. I'm still at 2.0 and trying to see what would be worth updating for since 2.0 performs pretty well already. I don't do underwater and I don't use old 4/3 glass either. Hmmm...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  14. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The focusing upgrade in 3.0 was pretty huge, I dare say it was a noticeable jump rather than just marketing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    You're gonna make me do it aren't you ? :) TBH I've had zero focusing problems so far, other than obvious user error where I'd flicked into manual focus :)

16. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    When updating to 3.0 from 2.0 / 2.1 / 2.2, the camera settings were maintained.
    Interesting, that OlympusAmerica doesn't mention anything about settings reset for 3.1 update.. can be that :wtf: moment for some people

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  17. Ross the fiddler

That stays, but you do need to select Lens Data in AF Adj., *K after the update so that it reads the data for that lens that is already stored.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. Ross the fiddler

You don't need 4/3's glass to benefit from the update as PD-AF is used for native M4/3's lenses too in C-AF (Hi).

19. Ross the fiddler

Can you take a screen shot of what they do show as I have done above?

20. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO