E-M1 firmware 3.0 available for manual download

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by barry13, Feb 21, 2015.

1. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    lol, I thought that this would have already be on - thank you though :)

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Who will be the volunteer as a guinea pig to see if it resets your settings?

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Well, if nothing else, it now gives all those who have been clamouring for the ability to use the SD card for updates the perfect opportunity to do so. We await your results. ;)

4. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I have updated using the SD card method, worked fine and I can confirm the auto focus on my 4/3 lenses does seem better

5. Robb

Robb Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2014
    Sydney
    Rob
    When you say better how is it better?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Settings will reset with any x.0 Oly firmware.
    Edit: Settings will only be reset if updating from 1.x firmware.

There's a spreadsheet linked from biofos.com for tracking your settings.

Barry

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  7. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I t
    Have not done a comprehensive test yet as I only updated it this morning but I would say that the performance of my 50-200mm SWD has improved, continuous autofocus was always unreliable I would now say it seems quicker and more accurate. The whole updating process only took about a minute which was nice and quick the file size was 69.2 mb

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  8. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Well for me it didn't seem to reset, but the main setting I'd changed was to have the super panel as my only info option and it stayed the same, so unless by chance they did the same thing then for me as least it kept my old settings.

I'd love to know too, from my gut feeling and only having m43 lenses I'd say it was better, but I'm also pretty new to the M1 so I don;t have a huge reference to draw from. I do know however that it couldn't get BiF for s**t, so it I get a couple I'll know its better.

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The file from the Olympus site was 66mb for me (and it updated perfectly).

It's remarkable how much better the C-AF is actually, I'll test 4/3 lenses in a bit...

10. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    A quick stuff around shows that the 35-100 is much more accurate, I can't get it to hunt anymore unless I point it at something out of range of the focus limiter, It just locks straight on in both S-AF and C-AF in pretty dim conditions... only due to the slow AF does it have problems with C-AF. With C-AF lock turned on high it gets a bit unsteady as you can move it between targets faster than the autofocus motor can whir, with m4/3 lenses the difference is amazing (high is perfect).

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Does anyone know who released this update early? The official release date is 24 Feb. Is this possibly an unofficial release to see if there are any problems and, if there are, the official release can be postponed. And for those that tried it, there's no recourse to complain, as it's not an official release?

12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It clearly is, but I still wonder why it's accessible and who knew to find it there.

14. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Some folks allegedly received repaired units back from Olympus with the new firmware. It's probably been on a site waiting to be linked to by Olympus for a while, accessible by their techs.
    I saw some folks I was familiar with say it worked for them on DPR, and went for it. My E-M1 now purrs along at 9fps in C-AF. Going out in the morning to test it out, but I like what I see. Black out will be way less of a problem.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    They post the firmware to the download site before it's released, I assume it's someone like me who had the previous version bookmarked who then changed the numbers to get the new version.

Old versions:
    http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/OLYMPUS_MASTER/FIRMWARES/0001/1090/OLY_E_109_2101_0000_0000.BIN
    http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/OLYMPUS_MASTER/FIRMWARES/0001/1090/OLY_E_109_2200_0000_0000.BIN

etc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm glad that someone's testing it out then. I can wait a couple of days. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm with you on that too. :rolleyes:

18. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    My E-M1 has a cracked screen. I figured, if I bricked it, I'd send it off for repair and shoot with my E-M5 in the mean time. All is well, so the screen won't be getting repaired.

19. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    How are you guys using C-AF, just swap to C-AF and half press until the shot and click or using back focus?

Also I've seen alot about the old system lenses but little about the micro ones (with the exception of eteless) - is everyone using legacy lenses, seems odd but hey.