E-M1 Fault? Won't turn off

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MartynV, Nov 23, 2013.

1. MartynV

MartynV New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2013
    Hi,

Please can anyone help?

I purchased an E-M1 with a 12-40mm lens yesterday and this afternoon took some test shots. I was advised to use up the remaining charge before fully charging the battery. After a few shots the low power warning appeared and the camera would not turn off leaving an image displayed in the viewfinder. The viewfinder remained on despite the on/off switch being in the off position and I could only shut down the camera by removing the battery. This is very disconcerting and leaves me wondering if this E-M1 is faulty. In any event, I've never experienced a digital camera (whether compact or DSLR) acting in this manner, but I'd rather not say how I feel at the moment.

A further minor issue is that the battery cover stick up slightly when closed.

Is the above normal? If not, should I return the E-M1 for a refund?

Thanks in advance.

Martyn

2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    How much does the battery cover stick up? Mine does by a very tiny amount. I would say this normal. I don't know who advised you to fully deplete the battery. That is not required and I don't think a good idea. Battery technology is better now than several years ago. Take the battery out of the camera and fully charge it. Then try again. If the camera is OK after that I think it will be fine.

3. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Hi,

It happened to me once as well. I was shooting kids playing soccer and was zooming, recomposing, re-focusing a lot and all of a sudden my E-M1 "froze" and would not respond to any actions including turning it off. I pulled the battery, put it back in and it never happened again. It was not related to the battery level in my case since it was fully charged. If this would be happening often, I would be concerned but since it never happened again I didn't think much about it.

I am not sure what you mean by battery cover sticking up though... there is a seal around the battery cover so when you close it it compresses and mine is pretty much flash with the body (although I can feel it if I slide my finger back and forth across the joint) and I wouldn't say It is sticking up.

4. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    Discussions about E-M1 lock ups are more common on other forums than on this one. Many folk are experiencing lock up problems where the battery must be removed. There are assumptions that it could be batch related as it seems to be more common in Europe. Olympus are aware of it and working on a fix.

Where are you located Martyn?

5. MartynV

MartynV New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2013
    Hi Bredman,

Thanks for replying. I'm in the UK so I hope that my camera is not part of a bad batch. Do you have a link to Olympus working on a fix? This may be needed if I have to return the camera.

Kind regards,

Martyn

6. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I've had the E-M1 since 10/4 and never had it lockup. By comparison, the E-M5 I had locked up three times in the first month. I don't think there is any evidence that the E-M1 locks up more and I've never seen anyone show anything from Olympus that there is an issue and it is being worked on.

7. MartynV

MartynV New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2013
    Hi,

Thanks, the battery cover isn't flush with the body in the same manner as with my old DSLR. If the weather is clear tomorrow I'll test the E-M1 and if it decides to freeze again then it's refund time.

Kind regards,

Martyn

8. MartynV

MartynV New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2013
    The battery cover sticks up very slightly but enough to notice visually and by touch. My last Olympus was an E-1 which somehow seemed to be better built. I've fully charged the battery now and will test again.

9. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    I was told by Olympus UK. There's a thread on the e-group forum.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29612

10. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    No link for an Olympus fix as such, I was told personally, there is more info for you on the above link i posted. Olympus are following that thread. I was told to hang on to the camera for a little longer as info was imminent. Mine has locked up a couple times.

11. MartynV

MartynV New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2013
    Thanks for the link to the e-group forum. The complicating factor for me is that I returned a faulty 6D to the high street retailer who would not take kindly to me returning another faulty camera.:mad: If it locks up again I'll return it and go back to the drawing board.

Do you think the references to blurry images are concerning shutter shock? Shutter shock may affect lighter Micro Four Thirds cameras but the E-M1 as well?

12. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    I don't think shutter shock is an issue with the M1. There is always the anti shock feature for those that are paranoid about it. :smile:

I don't think you should worry, lets see what Olympus has to say. May be an easy fix, or a recall for an exchange. Either way, it's a great camera, just some early teething issues.

13. MartynV

MartynV New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2013
    Hi,

I tested the E-M1 again today and noticed that the image in the viewfinder jerks slightly up, down, left or right after fully pressing the shutter button. Is this normal?

I'm beginning to think my E-M1 is a lemon.

Kind regards,

Martyn

14. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    This is perfectly normal. That is the IS kicking in. Any other camera, like a DSLR with IS in the lens will behave exactly the same way.

15. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can always turn of IS with half-press if you don't want stabilised composition. The IS can only cope with small movement (it can only move so far to compensate) before having to snap back and start again. That's also why there are dedicated panning modes that disable IS on the panning axis.

16. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Try a full reset before sending it back.. Mine was just the opposite, It would not power on till I reset the battery, happened afew times then starting happening almost every time it went to sleep one day.. I did a factory reset and it hasnt happened now in two long outings

17. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    Martyn, your camera will be fine. It's a pro spec camera so needs setting up right, it will not shoot fantastic straight out the box, and if you hold it next to your ear indoors and late at night it will be a very loud camera.

There is a fix for the lock up problem in the 1.1 firmware update. I have just been told by Olympus techie that the suspect for the lock ups was the caf draining power resulting in the IBIS failing.

The fix is (apparently) in the firmware. Anyone that has had a lockup must do a full reset, to reset the IBIS.

18. MartynV

MartynV New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2013
    Thanks, the problem wasn't noise from the IBIS which was similar to lens based IS in other systems. The image in the viewfinder persistently jumped after (not before) depressing the shutter button so the issue wasn't due to the IBIS kicking in. Unfortunately, I returned the E-M1 and am now reviewing other options. The retailer agreed that the viewfinder's / sensor behaviour wasn't within specification. Had I waited for a firmware update the option to return the camera without the hassle of litigation, expert reports, etc, would have passed. But for these issues I would have tolerated the come down in image quality compared to my old 6D, depth of field control, high ISO performance and the annoying location of the right strap eyelet touching my right first finger. Sure, Micro Four Thirds involves compromises but the camera must perform within specification.