1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 failure

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nstelemark, Nov 26, 2015.

1. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    For anyone having issues post firmware update here is your thread.

I'll start :dash2:

I installed firmware 4 without issue but post the update the IS causes the display to change framing by about 10-15% when the shutter is depressed half way. It is enough to alter the focus point and it is bloody annoying as well.

A couple of movies to illustrate the issue:

IS-ON

IS-OFF

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Which lens? I will check out a few lenses but I'm not seeing any effect with the 75 mounnted.

3. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Any lens. This is the sensor IS causing the issue.

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I actually don't think that is a firmware 4 problem. I have noticed this behavior with my 150/2 a few times over the last 2 or 3 months. It would not do it every time as in your video but it would happen 2 or 3 times in a day of shooting (my typical day of shooting wildlife is 2,000 to 3,000 shots). My EM5 has done this before with the 7.5mm fisheye also (is about the only lens I use on my EM5 anymore). I messed around with the 60mm after updating and did not have this happen one time.

5. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    It certainly could be coincidental. But it certainly happens all the time and only started after the update.

6. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    And Olympus is closed again today.... I think I will just ship it to service and get it moving.

7. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    My current thinking is this is coincidental.

This is the situation today:

IMG_1667.JPG

So now I am thinking that they broke something when they were fixing the rear dial encoder. And I am going on vacation in just shy of two weeks.

The problem is this tempts me to buy an E-M5mkII which is irrational.

8. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    I was in the same situation with my em1 a few weeks before our trip. I had to ship my em1 across the country for repair and I put a note in the box with it asking them to expedite the repair and the date I was leaving on vacation and then had it repaired and back in my hands in about 4 days. I also followed up with a phone call but they were fantastic. It can be done quickly

9. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry

I know this but I am trying to delude myself to buy an E-M5MkII - work with me on this!! :drinks::drinks:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    rofl, I did the same exact thing. I bought the em5mk2 and used it for a few days, hated the flip out screen and how it felt in my hand and returned it.

11. Kieron

Kieron New to Mu-43

May 28, 2015
    Why get an Em5??? Get another EM1

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I'll send the E-M1 in for repair. I want to try the E-M5II.

13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sorry to hear of that failure, but any excuse for another camera is better none. ;) I hope you end up with a successful outcome (a new & a repaired camera).

14. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Thanks Ross! I tried out an E-M5Mk2 in store and I have to say that the high ISO performance seems better than the E-M1. The handling is decent. Better than the E-M5 for sure, but noticeably smaller than the E-M1.

Certainly interesting.

15. Ross the fiddler

It does use a Sony sensor instead of the Panasonic version in the E-M1 so there is some difference. I wish you well whatever way you go, but sorry you have the inconvenience of the now faulty E-M1.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Some time ago I had EM1 sensor to die in peaceful home environment without any warning, just turned it on and.. kaboom!

17. Koru

Koru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2014
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Mine is a different failure, the rubber around the grip squished off, and C-Af suddenly refused to work. A month later and they now getting parts from Japan. Might be lucky to get it by Xmas. It's also a part time camera for my work, but made no difference. I feel nostalgia for my pro Canon when prompt service was assured.
    Don

18. Dean

Dean New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2015
    Dean Capinegro
    Now the OVF mode stays on just about all the time...have to shutoff and turn back on...

19. Ross the fiddler

That one maybe dead simple. Try cleaning the EVF glass, especially around the eye sensor area (you might need to take the eyecup off to do it properly) as I had this happen to me, but I soon realised what was happening, thankfully.

20. Dean

Dean New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2015
    Dean Capinegro
    I am sorry- I mean the S-OVF mode stays on when it is shutoff. This happened after the V4.0 upgrade