E-M1 EVF vs VF-4

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by simonz, Nov 17, 2013.

1. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Are there any E-M1 users who also own a VF-4?

I just received the VF-4 for my E-PM2 and am blown away by how large, bright and clear the VF-4 is. It is significantly better than the old VF-2.

Could E-M1 owners comment on how they compare?

2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    The E-M1 is the same size, has a slightly clearer view with better lens optics. It also has automatic brightness adjustment so it's less bright in dimmer light and more in brighter light (like an OVF). If you like the VF4, you would like the E-M1 EVF as much or more.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    It's the same EVF, so they compare pretty directly. I checked out the VF-4 before I got hold of an EM1 and the "WOW" factor of just being blown away by how big and bright and damn near OVF-like it is hit me harder with the VF-4 than with the EM1. I cannot honestly say if that's real or just a matter of the VF4 was the first place I saw it so that's what I was looking through when I was initially struck by how amazing it was. But I had them both together for a few days and the VF-4 did strike me as nicer. But I turned up the brightness on the EM1 and, particularly, popped off the eye-cup and it's just as impressive. For me (a glasses wearer), the eye-cup on the VF4 seemed to allow me to get a bit closer to the viewfinder window than the one on the EM1 and when I took off the eye-cup the one on the EM1 was just the same. And it's really more than fine with the cup, just didn't have the same immediate impact. But I've been using it with the eye-cup and it's just a great viewfinder - takes the EVF to a whole new level. Even better than the one in the Nex 6/7 and RX1 and that's a really good EVF. Let alone the previous Olympus and Panasonic finders I've used, which are plenty good, but not in the same league as the VF4...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think someone mentioned that EM1's EVF is a bit smaller even though it's the same internals. Just like EM5's is smaller than EVF2 alone. Something's got to give to stuff it into a camera body.

5. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    No, I think the E-M1 EVF is the same size (0.74x magnification) as the VF4.