1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 EVF Issue While Panning inside a Store

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gugarci, Apr 13, 2014.

1. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    This afternoon I went to my local Unique Photo in Fairfield NJ. I went there hoping to play with the E-M1 and the GX7. Finding an E-M10 there in stock was a pleasant surprise. Till now I was mainly looking at the GX7 and the E-M10. But the E-M1 did not feel too big compared to the E-M10 and the GX7. The E-M1 I was playing with at the store had the new 12-40mm lens mounted.

While playing around with the E-M1 I noticed that the EVF would freeze momentarily for a split second while panning the camera around the store. I did not encountered any issues like these on the E-M10, the GX7 or the Fuji X-T1 which I also tried, The E-M1's viewfinder is large and bright but while the EVF on the E-M10 is smaller it was no no slouch either. But I'm very concern about this issue I encountered on this E-M1 since I have not read anything on line about any EVF issues like this. I also tried the E-M1 with the Olympus 40-150 which was mounted on the E-M10 and the E-M1's EVF also kept freezing momentarily while panning inside the store. Is this a defective EVF? Like I said I did not encounter any issues like these with the other cameras I tried in the store.

2. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Since no one has responded is it safe to assume that the EVF on that E-M1 was defective.

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    This is going by faint memory - I think there is a menu setting that deals with flicker caused by some lighting sources. If I'm remembering correctly (big if), it's possible that's the issue.

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Only time I have noticed any delay in the EVF is when using peaking, maybe someone had the camera set up to use peaking/ manual focus and you were inadvertently moving the focus ring to trigger it?

5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Display menu > Flicker reduction:

Could that be it?

6. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Maybe that was it. Thanks for the responses.

7. Simonout

Simonout New to Mu-43

May 19, 2013
    It also might be the in-body image stabilization which stabilizes the view finder image. You can select image stabilization which does not stabilize horizontal panning movements, which allows for smoother panning.