1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1/E-M5...Sorted

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I don't get it.

Better EVF not important?
    1/8000 max shutter not important?

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Possibly just not $400 worth of important. And BTW, I tend to agree that 1/8000 is not that important.

4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The EM5 evf is fine and 1/8000 isn't something I'm bothered about either, I hardly use 1/4000.

Paul

Sent from my ME301T using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    He overlooks that although the EM1 is bigger than other 4/3 cameras its still not huge in real terms and the lenses that fit it still mean the system as a whole is very compact.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    @OP: I hope you don't do bracketing or Mysets then!

7. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Size wise I think the EM1 is only about a centimetre longer than the EM5, then it is wider on one end with the vertical grip (which some people have put on their EM5s I believe). So I don't think the size increase is anywhere near a significant as we might think. In my opinion system size is more about the physical size of the lenses than the body and thankfully the Micro 4/3 lenses are very small - this is mainly what makes the system so workable for me as a pro who has to carry a lot of stuff at times.

I personally will benefit from the EM1, particularly the additional ruggedness and the 1/8000 shutter speed will be useful, as will a bit of extra speed on x sync.
    However if you don't need any of the additional features on the new camera, then the EM5 is a terrific choice.

8. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I bracket often but still rarely hit 1/4000.

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Dave .. I sold my OMD and thought will get EP5 instead but my enthusiasm faded quickly . I am again looking for another OMD . I agree , I dont need 1/8000 speed either and wifi is not a deal breaker . I can use trigger trap app with dongle which is better than wi fi for camera control. I love the add on grip of EM5 and how it can be used in two parts . I am not very keen to get EM1 either. However , I handled the camera at a local digital show and its not that big at all .
    Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I think he discounts the size difference between the E-M1 and D7100 too much. I feel the difference is certainly worth consideration (based on my handling of a GH3).

As an E-M5 owner, 1/8000, wifi, EVF size, and 81 point focus are things that draw me to it. Oh, and all the custom buttons. However, I probably won't get it until it drops in price. I don't gain anything for two bodies right now and don't want to sell the E-M5. Maybe the E-M5 mkII will entice me =) That and the 42.5/1.2 is around the corner... and that 40-150 (though, on the E-M5, that will be interesting)

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I live comfortably a generation behind, so when the EM1 was announced I treated myself to a $750 refurbished EM5. The EVF and the slightly better IBIS would be nice, but 1/8000 and the the ability to use the 4.3 lenses really doesn't interest me. That certainly doesn't justify the $650 price difference.

12. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    It's an abbreviated review of the spec differences between the two cameras and a zero review of the still and video image quality differences. Therefore I personally will ignore the review. I am excited about the video image quality improvements of the E-M1; e.g. no more moire and artifacts when panning plus the possible subtle, but significant low ISO still image quality improvements; e.g. sharpness and brightness improvements due to the lack of the AA filter and ability to shoot at ISO 100 and slightly better jpeg image processing. Modest improvements in sharpness, brightness and colors can make the difference between a "wow" image and a "yawn" image IMHO.

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Extremely rarely. And really, if that's all that's needed, that can pretty much all be done in post processing.

14. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I bottom out on 1/4000 quite frequently and have to stop down. Also I think functional wifi is worth $400. GH3 gets kinda wonky, hopefully this is a bit more seamless. Additionally, I planned on picking up a 4/3 body to make better use of a single 4/3 lens I have, but seeing as how a large mp sensor end camera is still quite expensive even being so old, the EM5 is the obvious alternative. However, I'm gonna wait and pick one up used. The Leica glass can stay in the drawer for now and I'll muddle through with the GH3's temperamental wifi when doing photoshoots. Le sigh

15. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Also, while the em5 is quite small, my copy lives with the hld6 attached constantly. And while it does add a bit of bulk, it's nothing compared to the size of the equivalent lenses for the d7100 that was mentioned.

16. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    If I own an E-M5 I wouldn't buy the E-M1 unless I needed better CAF performance. To be honest I don't needed it. But since my primary body is an E-P3 I was planning to upgrade my body in the nest year I will buy the E-M1.

Also I own my primary lenses already. The 12mm and 45mm are my go to lenses and I used them about 98% of the time. I would love to buy the 60 mm macro, the 75mm 1.8, or the 9-18mm lens, But it's GAS. Although out of these 3 the macro is the one I really could put to great use.

So paying $1400 for an E-M1body is not an issue. Now when I'm ready to buy, if a new E-M5 body drops in price to about $600-700 I might have to seriously rethink it. I could use the extras cash for GAS.

• Like Like x 1
  17. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I can use trigger trap app with dongle? Got any links to this setup?
    Bobby

18. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Interesting, because the marketplace seems to think that feature is worth something under $50.

19. chuckles84

chuckles84 New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2013
    Does the E-M5 and the E-M1 use the same battery?

20. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Yes, which is nice if you are using two bodies. But on the downside, no big jump in battery life.

• Like Like x 1