1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 - Control Wheel Skipping ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcr1230, Jan 27, 2014.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Can someone with an E-M1 give me a reality check/comparison of the rear control wheel ?

when I use it either to scroll through the selections (like when you press OK to get to the quick menu then roll the wheel to go from option to to option)
    each click of the wheel should move me to the next selection/option , right ?

same when I try to change the white balance (or aperture in A mode) depending on whether the lever is in 1 or 2 position
    sometimes it moves to the next setting, sometime not, sometimes it skips one click, sometimes 2, sometimes moves to the next selection immediately

feels like it is flakey

what say you ?

anyone have experience with the turn-around time for repairs in the USA ?

thanks

2. Rooz

Rooz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    correct, that is how it is supposed to work if thats how your rear wheel is customised.. sounds like your wheel has an issue. does it do the same thing when altering exposure settings like aperture or shutter speed ?
    it may be a long shot, but my old d80 many, many years ago had the same problem and it was some sand worked into the wheel. i used a pressure blower on it and it cleared it right up.

3. sanz3jo

sanz3jo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 22, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Mario E.
    I have the same problem on the rear wheel

4. sanz3jo

sanz3jo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 22, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Mario E.
    I tried with the pressure blower as suggested by Rooz and it worked, problem solved, thanks a lot.

5. sanz3jo

sanz3jo Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 22, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Mario E.
    Updating: only worked for a few hours, the problem remains.

6. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm sending mine back
    I've gotten so used to carry the camera with me - not sure what to do while they repair it
    I seriously thought about buying a second body - that is a little crazy , I'm just a hobbyist

7. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

This is very worrying - have had a similar problem with the E-PL5 rear controller and sent it in for repair. Was okay for a couple of months and now it is skipping again.

Seems like these controls need a better more stable design.