1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 continuous/sequential shooting - not getting 6.5 with 43-glass

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by knutivars, Feb 12, 2014.

1. knutivars

knutivars New to Mu-43

Feb 12, 2014
    Hi!

Ive got the E-M1 and love it..., and when I shoot sports, I use C-AF[TR] with sequential low setting at 6.5fps. ....., but using the 50-200 SWD which should have very fast AF, the E-M1 is only capable of delivering approx. 3 fps and not 6.5. That seems to be standard for all FourThirds glass. I created a video comparig shuttersound on different lenses on the E-M1. When it comes to the 50-200 - listen how much slower it gets; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neWTNE1XYkI

I have not seen any useful arguments/articles/mentions of this and why it should be like this - do you experience this as well?
    It kinda bugs me as I was expecting 6.5fps with tracking AF...

2. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Yes and No.

E-M1 slows down with the 50-200SWD because the aperture mechanism is slow.

You will notice that you will get 11/6.5 fps with aperture set to wide open.

You will also notice that you can not set the 50-200SWD to open the aperture from 51 - 199mm. Apperantly the lens stops down the aperture a tiny bit, unless you are at the short (50mm/f2.8) or long(200mm/f3.5) end.

You can verify this: Set one button to aperture preview. Set the camera in A-mode to f2.8. At 50 and 200mm you hear no click if you press the button.
    At every other focal length, AF will have aperture full open but preview will close the aperture a tiny bit.

I was told that the older 50-200 non-SWD lens can be shot wide open, so his is a restriction of the SWD lens only. Unfortunately ...

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    That the aperture stops down slightly does not mean it's not being shot 'wide open'; it's a variable aperture lens, after all, so may need to close the diaphragm down slightly to allow sharp focus at any given focal length.

To the OP: not sure what gave you the impression the 50-200 would have 'very fast AF' on the E-M1; it's the only body it has workable AF on, but 'very fast' is not a description I've heard anyone use for the performance of 43 lenses on micro 43 bodies. Does it do the same shot wide open with autofocus tracking switched off? May be the aperture responding slowly, may simply be because the tracking AF can't quite keep up.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I don't if you've test C-AF with and without tracking, but independent of the 6.5fps issue, I suspect you'll get better results without.