E-M1: Card Error with EXFAT on 32GB cards

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by barry13, Apr 9, 2015.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

I noticed today that my E-M1 gets a "Card Error" upon inserting either of my Toshiba 32GB SDHC cards after formatting them with EXFAT in Win8.1

The E-M1 is perfectly happy with 64GB SDXC cards formatted with EXFAT in Win8.1

It's possible this started happening after a firmware upgrade, it's been almost a year since I've used these 32GB cards (but re-formatting them with EXFAT didn't help).

Re-formatting them FAT32 solves the 'problem', but I don't understand why it would care, as it works with 64GB cards formatted with EXFAT (and I've been using those continually for almost a year with 0 problems).

FWIW, the SD association's formatter uses EXFAT on the 64GB cards and FAT32 on the 32GB cards, although that is not documented.
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Also I read that any camera that accepts SDXC cards is required to support EXFAT.

Thanks,
    Barry

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The general rule used to be that you shouldn't format the card on your PC, but do the format in the camera and when you do format on the PC just use FAT32. That's all that I've done with my Samsung 32GB card and I've not had any issues. Mind you, it's just an SDHC Class 10 card and a shed load faster than all of my other so-called Class 10 cards.

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have a 128GB card and it works fine with the E-M1 and the E-P5, both with the latest firmware. Simply format the card in the camera. Never format cards on a computer, sooner or later you will hit a problem like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Support for exFAT is require ONLY for SDXC cards. There is no requirement to support exFAT when working in the SDHC or SD modes.

Each of the SD versions ( SD, SDHC, and SDXC) are distinct and require slightly different code. Putting the exFAT supportting code in the SDHC code would only add unnecessary complexity to the code.

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Thanks guys.

I guess I'm used to Linux systems where the block device (hardware) layer code/driver is separate from the filesystem layer code.

Barry