1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1: C-AF vs 10fps

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mcasan, Mar 17, 2014.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Thinking about shooting wildlife or perhaps sports. with C-AF and 10fps. In your experience can you maintain 10fps with a faster lens, say f2.8 compared to say f5.6? If you zoom does that cause 10fps to drop to 6.5fps? If you stop the sequence and start a new sequence in X seconds will the new sequence likely do 10fps? How much time is needed between sequences for the body to be about do do 10 fps again?

Has anyone written or seen a good description of the real world tradeoffs between C-AF and 10fps?

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's basically right there in the spec sheet - 6 fps with continuous focus, or 10 fps with focus locked after the first shot. 45 or 40 RAW shots with an appropriately fast SD card. Of course, the fps also requires the shutter speed to be high enough, and the lens aperture stop down to be fast enough (seen a few folks report the 43 50-200 doesn't work at full burst because of this).

If reach and speed is the primary concern, MFT is probably not your best bet - That's the one area the Nikon 1 excels in, in mirrorless land.

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The E-M1 has a really deep buffer. For all practical purposes you can do 10 fps for as long as you need it. But your AF and exposure are locked. I have shot the E-M1 with tracking AF with the slower 6.5 fps burst rate and been very happy with the results shooting sports. It really depends on what you are trying to do. The AF is good enough with the E-M1 I find I am using burst less with it than I did with the E-M5.

4. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I've shot a lot with the 50-200 with both the E-M5 and E-M1 and I haven't seen any issues with the 50-200 not working at full burst rate. A lot is easily 10 - 15 k frames.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Good to know - I never really move the burst beyond 6fps, and only recently got the 50-200

6. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    It depends on which 50-200 and which aperture.

I have the newer 50-200SWD which has the faster SWD drive but which also tends to stop down to f3.0-3.5 as soon as you zoom away from 50mm. For AF it opens the aperture and for exposure the aperture is closed again.

And as someone said above, the aperture drive is slowing down the burst rate.

Only with open aperture at 50mm/f2.8 and at 200mm/f3.5 you can get 6,5 fps. At each other setting, the frame rate goes down to 4fps.

Christof

7. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Interesting. I have the non SWD 50-200 and it clearly has different behavior. This is good to know. I like the idea that the aperture is open for AF, but I can see how it would limit the burst rate. Another reason to stick with the non SWD 50-200.