E-M1 blurry

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Marc0, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    Hi all, I just got an E-M1 and when I submit to shutterstock images taken with that camera I always get a reply like the image is blurry. I'm shooting in raw with the 12-40. Do you have any idea about how to better set the camera. I've uploaded to shutterstock images taken with the E-m5 and I never had this trouble.
    Thanks
    Marco

2. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Could you post one of the images in question.

3. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    Here's one macaque.

4. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    This is the reply from Shutterstock:
    Not Approved
    Focus--Subject is blurry, too soft, or out of focus when viewed at full resolution.

5. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    This is another one taken with the Panasonic 8mm fisheye. Got the same reply. twin lakes.

6. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    It does look to lack a bit of bite,i wonder if its a contrast thing.

7. gbuck

gbuck Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2012
    Are you using a tripod to take these shots and if so is the IS turned off?

8. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    No, I'm not using a tripod.

9. isin

isin Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Ioannis Sinadinos
    Ι had blurry images when my EM1 had 4.0 firmware and there was a bug in IBIS. A couple of months later they published version 4.1 that fixed IBIS issues.
    What is your version?

10. fader

fader Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    nice compositions! What is your workflow? the samples you've uploaded have heavy jpg compression - ~300kb files is losing a lot of detail. I typically export from RAW -> jpeg at 95% quality. When I look at the irises of the macaque I can see pixelized highlights which makes me think the original image is sharp enough, but the details got lost in jpeg processing either in or out of the camera. I applied some aggressive sharpening and it cleans up a bit. you might want to dial in just a bit more DOF and stop down, as the limbs seem to go soft pretty quick compared to the focus plane on the eyes.

camera bits: 1st thing: Make sure that the camera is updated to the latest firmware. 2nd thing - Verify your IS settings and try a couple shots of the same scene at slower shutter speeds with it on vs. off.

Also, for landscape work, a collapsible monopod is easy to toss on your pack and can make a big difference. I often use the self timer feature @ 1 or 2 sec to minimize camera motion on shutter press and release. Also, in the advanced settings, set shutter delay of 0 sec to eliminate the shutter shock under 1/320. the menu looks like this when activated: https://1.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~TS520x520~articles/4134393686/antishock.jpeg

hope this helps. cheers
    macaque_lzn.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    Hi, I have the 4.1

12. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    Thanks fader, I download the pics in lightroom 6, than I transform the raw in tiff and regulate the contrast with pro contrast in color efex 4. At the end I export from lighroom as a jpg with maximum quality and no limits for the size. In this way I get a 5.8 mb jpg. From what I've seen the is is not making a lot of difference. I'll try to use a tripod with the is off.
    thanks again

13. fader

fader Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    Indeed, all that should be more than enough. Don't be afraid to dial up the sharpening and the contrast before exporting it. If you're uploading a higher volume of stock photos, you might find that the sharpening and jpeg processing straight out of the camera is adequate.

I was curious and tried to pull a bit more detail out of the mids and highlights without affecting the color too much of your sample, and the extra contrast helps liven things up. My very subjective opinion is that compared to the onslaught of 36 MP images coming from the full frame sensor army, we have to put in just a bit more elbow grease in PP to keep up. What was considered as a sharp image with good natural contrast 10 years ago is now routinely called flat / bland / dull. I often think it's more an issue of what people have trained their visual tastes into thinking is correct / good than there being anything "wrong" with a particular image.

macaque_lzn.

14. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    I also have the shutter delay of 0 sec
    I just worked a bit with the lightroom detail function and I got the following image accepted by shutterstock. Thanks a lot fader! Cheers

Roosters.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Is IS on or off, and what shutter speed did you use (especially for the first image)?

--Ken

16. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Is this Bedugul - Bali ?

17. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    all are at 1/160 and IS on

18. Marc0

Marc0 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Italy
    Marco
    yes, right!
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Try turning the IS off and shooting at a higher shutter speed - something at or above 1/250th. You might be seeing either shutter shock or the IS not quite stabilized. Doing the above can help you possibly rule out two potential issues. And pay attention to how things look in the viewfinder. I find on occasion that the camera shows focus, but the image is not crisp. I refocus and can usually see the difference in the EVF immediately.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  20. ColinM

ColinM New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2012
    Barnsley, UK
    Just because Shutterstock say your images are unsharp, you shouldn't assume that they are unsharp. Any large area without detail, such as the background in the first image or the clouds in the second, seems to trigger their automatic analyser. Wait a couple of weeks and resubmit, they'll probably be accepted.

ColinM (Shutterstock contributor No 280)

• Like Like x 3