E-M1 becomes extremely slow to respond, screen colors become inverted

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by raschmidt, May 17, 2017.

1. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Rob
    So recently I took my E-M1 to get serviced for the control dials at an authorized service center. I got the camera back and it was fine. The other day I purchased a GX85 and 15mm Panasonic lens. Both cameras seemed fine. I put the 15mm Panasonic on the E-M1 to see what it was like, and noticed that the AF was extremely jerky and loud, so I figured it was an issue with the camera and lens not communicating well. I didn't look into it online and just put the Panny lens back on the GX85 and put my Olympus lens back on the E-M1.

Now I have a weird situation, both the 15mm Panny and my Olympus 40-150mm Pro lens cause the E-M1 to have serious problems and it is totally unusable with those lenses. The screen will go black, or sometimes the colors invert with the screen refreshing only once every 2-3 seconds. The camera is extremely slow to respond to any controls. With an Olympus 14-150 II lens or a 14-42mm EZ lens, the camera is perfectly fine (also tried with a Zhongyi 25mm). The 40-150mm Pro lens on my gf's E-M5 ii is also fine. I am afraid to try the 15mm Panny on the E-M5 ii in case it causes problems there though. Is their a chance the Panasonic lens could have caused something faulty or weird to happen on the E-M1, and any reason why it happens also on the 40-150 but not other lenses?

I tried using a different battery (had a 3rd party one in at the time) and no change. I looked all over this site, DPreview, and google but couldn't find others with this issue.

2. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Did you check that the electronic connections are clean?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  3. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Rob
    They looked clean but I just wiped them down and seems to be working fine now.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Clean them an eraser followed by some alcohol to wash off the debris.

Edit - both camera and lens contacts.

5. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    Many photogs recomend using Deoxit Gold.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    If you wipe electronic contacts with an eraser, use a clean pencil eraser; one intended for removing ink is too abrasive and will scratch the gold or rhodium finish.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Rob
    Thanks for the tips and advise, I will see if i can get the things you mentioned, i have had the camera for 3 years and never did a cleaning. I asked the Olympus repair place about if it should be cleaned and they didnt know what i was talking about :p

8. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Sweden
    Thanks, I had a very similar problem this weekend with the 300mm and MC-14. Will use electronic contact cleaning spray on all interfaces.

9. Carbonman

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I generally use 99% denatured alcohol on a Q-tip to clean electronics. Alcohol is the basis for most contact cleaners. Be very careful with sprays - you don't want particles of the mixture of alcohol and lubricants glomming onto a nano coated element.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I recommend liquid Deoxit on a soft cloth.

11. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    This issue comes up all of the time on the Nikonian's web-site, and using Deoxit Gold on a q-tip is always the recommended fix. I would be very wary of using anything else. In fact, and I don't remember the exact warnings, but some of the recommendations that you have received here would probably be condemned. I haven't had to use my Deoxit Gold yet, but I have it just in case, and after reading all of the threads on Nikonians, it's the only thing that I would use, if needed. I bought mine on Amazon.

12. Carbonman

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Note that with a sparing amount of alcohol or Deoxit you can rub the contacts fairly vigorously without damage. Q-tips are spun cotton and not abrasive unless they are very dirty. Too much cleaner of any type can seep into crevices and joints that quickly wick it up and damage hidden components, hence 'sparingly'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Seriously, as a 30 year electronic technician there is nothing wrong with using an eraser to clean really dirty contacts on the lens or camera body or using alcohol. Sure you can buy some fancy cleaner but the alcohol you have in your bathroom is just as good, way cheaper and you already have it. For those that said you can rub off or scratch the surface.................take a look at a lens that has been on and off a lot of times or the camera that has had lots of lenses taken on and off. You have metal contacts sliding across metal contacts every time you twist that lens into place............there is no way in hell an eraser is going to do more damage to those contacts then they do sliding across each other time and time again. Just make sure you don't get any eraser particles into the camera or lens and make sure no alcohol gets on the glass...........although it would probably do less damage to the lens then any of those special cleaners. I had Canon lenses for 20 years that I cleaned with erasers when needed and on a regular bases used alcohol to clean the contacts that worked perfectly when I sold them.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  14. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Rob
    So it happened again today, I cleaned the contacts and it got better, but it still will randomly happen (3/5 times i turned the camera on) and when it does, it's not 100% stopping the camera performance but maybe 30-50% is.

15. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Try Deoxit!

16. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Rob
    Might have to wait a bit to get that, it's a bit hard to find in China and seems quite expensive. Do I need the spray or the glue-like stuff?

Last night on the way home from soccer the camera was acting up, no longer inverted colors on the screen but still slow to respond and AF was acting funky. When I got home it was fine however, aside from a clunky sounding AF whenever it would focus to something relatively far away.

17. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The little tube of liquid will do the job.
    I use the spray can so I have a good amount but never spray near a camera. I simply spray onto a soft cloth and then wipe with that.

18. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Just use an eraser to clean the contacts followed up with some alcohol. If the problem persist then it is something else causing your problem and will probably require sending it in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Rob
    The problem is now happening on all lenses, even full manual with no electric contacts. I'm going to assume it is an issue with the camera itself, possibly from when they fixed the dials last week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Rob
    Took it back to the official repair place here in Chengdu. The worker at the shop told me he had never seen the problem before and was unsure of the issue. Thought it could be the motherboard but said he doesn't want to replace things if he can't be sure they are the problem (was very glad to hear that, as I was worried they'd tell me random things were broken). In the end he said he'd do a full cleaning of the inside and will call the Shanghai office today.

Good news is the cleaning seems to have fixed it, because I couldn't reproduce the problem last night or again this morning! Glad to deal with the store here in Chengdu as the guy who works there is very polite and professional. Been there 3 times (1st time was for E-M10 shutter stuck) now and they're always very good to deal with!

• Like Like x 4