E-M1 Batter/Vertical Grip

verbatimium

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Martin
I use it quite a bit on my E-M1, especially with larger/heavier lenses such as the 12-40mm F2.8, 75mm F1.8 and the 75-300mm. Makes shooting portrait oriented shots so much easier with these lenses. Plus, you have the benefit of running on 2 batteries.

I would say, if you do quite a but of portrait oriented shots with heavier lenses, then get it. If you primarily do landscape, or only use smaller prime lenses, then it's not needed.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't want it. I don't want to add size and weight. Changing batteries takes only a few seconds.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
+1

The Olympus Corporate Store was nice enough to give me one for free along with an extra battery when I purchased my EM1. I don't use it very often, primarily because I'm working with smaller primes and it's not physically needed. Plus I like the smaller form factor without the vertical grip. The few times I've used it were at weddings where I took along my EM1 in addition to my Canon rig, to see how well it would do in that scenario.

I use it quite a bit on my E-M1, especially with larger/heavier lenses such as the 12-40mm F2.8, 75mm F1.8 and the 75-300mm. Makes shooting portrait oriented shots so much easier with these lenses. Plus, you have the benefit of running on 2 batteries.

I would say, if you do quite a but of portrait oriented shots with heavier lenses, then get it. If you primarily do landscape, or only use smaller prime lenses, then it's not needed.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
You are correct but with the Oly not giving precise battery charge information having two batteries is nice. When watching a bird who is feeding and waiting for that perfect shot and that battery indicator starts flashing can cause you to lose a shot. With the 2nd battery you have time to wait until a better moment to switch them.

I would not characterize my Olympus bodies as not being precise as much as not giving much warning (in comparison to my Nikon D300). Have you adjusted the setting to +2 to maximize it?

--Ken

JudyM

Mu-43 All-Pro
I never take mine off the camera, except to charge the body battery. The grip makes the camera more comfortable to hold, and the extra mass is important for balancing long lenses, which I use often. Having a second battery to switch to on the fly is also nice.

Atom Ant

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Adam

+1

DWS

Mu-43 Regular
I prefer the grip in terms of handling and added battery capacity.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
With the E-M5 I bought the grip with the camera and glad I did, mostly for the horizontal grip. When I go the E-M1 I decided to forego the grip and see if I would want it later. After using the camera for about 10 months I have not yet wanted to get the grip, even when using the 50-200mm 4/3s lens. My left hand stays on the bottom of the camera or lens so there is not off balance issues. The batteries are small and I keep a couple on holders of my camera strap or in my pocket.

biza48

Mu-43 Regular
I have two EM-1's, both gripped. When I bought them, the grip was part of the package/promotion. At first, I thought I would not need them, but after a while, they became indispensable.

I use one of the cameras with the 12 f2 lens for landscape work, and I do a lot of long exposures. So the grip allows me to use two batteries without having to take the camera off the tripod, or having the camera dying out on me in the middle of a shot.

the other camera I use with the Voigtlander 42.5 f0.95 lens, and the grip simply makes camera handling much better.

CPWarner

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Cliff
I use L-brackets for tripod work in order to quickly switch from landscape to portrait orientation. Unfortunately, my usual source for l-brackets, Really Right Stuff, isn't making a l-bracket for the EM-1 with the grip. So, I am not sure if I am going to bother picking a grip up, as I would very rarely use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

D

Deleted member 20897

I have an EM5, and like the grip part, but rarely use the battery part. I don't like not having the d-pad, because I change focal points a lot. Not sure if the EM1 grip includes the d-pad or not.
If I think I'm going to need to run with the Olympus all day, then having the extra battery already on board is convenient.

gr8Shot

Mu-43 Regular
My battery grip has sat in a cupboard for over a year. I really need to get around to selling it.

Battery grips worked well with my old DSLRs that needed some extra leverage. I also had to pick and choose the equipment I would bring on any given day, so adding a grip was not a big deal. Now that I can carry all my MFT gear in a small bag, the battery grip just doesn't fit.

I use a Really Right Stuff Tripod Bracket to make room for my little finger. I love this combination.

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
I've had battery grips on almost every DSLR camera I've owned. Maybe it's a throwback to when I used to shoot film as I had motordrives on my OM-1's and 2's and just always preferred to have them. I will say that with the EM-1 the bulk of carrying the body with the grip compared to my Nikons with grips is huge. Feels like nothing and I'm still getting used to the fact these are so light and small. As for batteries, I actually just keep the one battery in the grip and none in the body so I don't have to worry about removing the grip to change that battery in the body.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
I always use it if size isn't an issue, if I'm only carrying a small bag I normally don't bother. It allows a much more firm grip even with smaller lenses as you can wedge your hand between the grip and the lens hood, it's basically a must with larger lenses like the 35-100mm f2.0 though.

Latest threads

Top Bottom