1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 - Back button start C-AF in S-AF mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Albino_BlacMan, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Albino_BlacMan

Albino_BlacMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Canada
    I'm wondering if it's possible to assign a button to start C-AF when in S-AF mode on the E-M1 (so half press the shutter would activate S-AF and holding the rear button would activate C-AF).

Or as an alternative can I get AF lock in C-AF mode? Or maybe even a quick switch to MF without the use of L-FN button (since I'll be using the 50-200 which doesn't have an L-FN button)

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, many buttons can be mapped to MF/AF toggle.

I use fn2, iirc.

Barry

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If you set up the camera the first way, you could lock focus in C-AF but then would reengage focus when pressing the shutter button, defeating the purpose. Something that will work for you is in a download I posted a while ago (1st link)
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=57117

4. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    You can set the lever to switch to C-AF mode. That's how I have mine setup with the AEL/AFL button then used for back-button AF. The button would also function as AF lock by simply releasing the button once you've achieved the focus you want.

5. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    You can assign a button to switch to MF, unless you have lever function set to mode 5 for some reason.. I like to shoot in SAF/MF set up the fn2 button for MF and wanted to use the lever in mode 5 to use CAF quickly, but no way to do it.. I sent Oly a email and they didnt know why it disabled the MF button assignment and said they were sending that off to Japan to check on firmware but never heard back, was hoping that got fixed in V2..

6. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I always fail to reach the AEL/AFL button with my thumb because my face gets in the way so I use the FN1 button for back button focus. And I have one of the buttons close to the lens mount for MF toggle.

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Yeah, I just upgraded to firmware 2.0 and during the reconfigure, I switched to using the lever in mode5. You can't have a button for MF/AF in mode5, even in firmware 2.0.

I was hoping I could use the lever to switch the AF points from small center to center grid, but it won't do it.

I wound up setting Fn2 to 'Home Position' or something like that, so I can now switch AF points with that, but it resets on power off (as the manual v2 says it will) :(

Also, weird things happen if you pull the lens clutch to MF... the AEL button no longer works in either lever position.

Barry

8. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    I set my Fn1 button to AF home and select single spot as home, then set camera to center weighted, as long as I turn camera off with it set to center weighted it saves it

• Like Like x 1