E-M1 back button focussing - which button do you use?

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Well, I've joined the E-M1 fraternity (thanks Arvin for selling me your camera!). It's a delight to use over my E-M5. As much as I love the 5, the buttons are too small and fiddly and then there's the extra controls and nice grip on the 1. However, there's one little thing that I'm struggling to adapt to... I'm a back button focus user and I'm finding the AEL button a bit too far left making it a stretch to reach with my thumb; and the FN1 button is a bit too far right! I know I'm at risk of sounding like the sort of guy who'd kick Angelina Jolie out of bed for dropping toast crumbs!, and it's certainly far from being a deal-breaker - but I'd be interested to hear from other back-button focusers about their setup and experiences.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
AEL/AFL button ... That's why it's there. Yes, it's a bit to far, but it's the best choice IMHO.

ArmaKarma

New to Mu-43
I agree with the OP. For me, the best position is the INFO button but I have yet to find out definitively if that is possible to reassign. I suspect not.

MayaTlab

New to Mu-43
It's puzzling me why Olympus never realised that he Info button is ideally placed for AFL operation. It's the same problem with the play button on the X-pro 1.

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
However, there's one little thing that I'm struggling to adapt to... I'm a back button focus user and I'm finding the AEL button a bit too far left making it a stretch to reach with my thumb; and the FN1 button is a bit too far right!

On the EM-10 I gave up with the fn1 button (about at the same place as the AEL on the EM1) for the same reason and moved the focus to fn2 that is on the side of the shutter button. So I can use both with the index. Of course it is not good for continuous focus but in that case I would switch to a different MySet.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
On the E-M1 you've also got two buttons on the front of the camera next to the lens that you can hit with your right fingers when they are around the grip. Would one of the. Work for you?

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
On the E-M1 you've also got two buttons on the front of the camera next to the lens that you can hit with your right fingers when they are around the grip. Would one of the. Work for you?
That's a nice idea - although since I'm keeping my E-M5, it'll mean two different approaches. Not sure my ageing mind is up to learning new tricks like that! :wink:

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
The 5 and 1 buttons are so different, you're kind of there anyway. The better buttons of the 1 are why I upgraded in less than a year. On the 5 I used the fn2 (or whatever it was called) like Klorenzo.

jurgen

Mu-43 Regular
On my E-M1, I used one of the front buttons for "back button" focusing. Took a little getting used to (mostly in terms of muscle memory) but it was the most comfortable focusing method I've ever used. I have a GH4 now, and I miss that front button greatly.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
It's puzzling me why Olympus never realised that he Info button is ideally placed for AFL operation. It's the same problem with the play button on the X-pro 1.

To operate the Info button I find I have less of a grip on the camera & for 'back button focus', that is the time when grip (of the camera) has to be sure & by reaching with the thumb for the AFL/AEL button it is still maintaining that grip (for me).

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
I just use the AEL/AFL button. First few times, kept missing the button trying to find it blind but after a few days it becomes second nature.

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Top Bottom