1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1: back button focus lock?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jak Crow, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Jak Crow

Jak Crow Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    I've been playing with the function buttons and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the camera to do a Fn button focus like I have my E-PL3 set to do. On my E-PL3, I changed the Fn button to switch to MF, then set the Rec button to AEL/AFL, and I get auto focus for as long as I'm holding down the Rec button. On the E-M1, setting the Fn1 button to MF and Fn2 tp AEL/AFL doesn't do that. It just enables AEL on the screen. Anyone know what I need to enable on one of the Fn buttons to do the same thing?

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  3. Jak Crow

Jak Crow Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    I do a lot of underwater photography so BBF can be a great feature to use for some situations. I hope this is fixed with an update.

4. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I have my EM-1 set to do back button autofocus. I started out using the ael/afl button. Put the focus mode in manual focus. Then, under the gears menu select af/mf, and then ale/afl. Set the m af mode to mode 3. This means that when you are in manual focus mode the ael/afl button will autofocus. You can then assign that function to whichever button you want. I'm using F1 and I have ael/afl set to do iso.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
  6. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    good info, one thing that drives me nuts on the EM1 is releasing the shutter and it starts searching again, when after a bird in flight or in a clutter of branches.. I will set me up a back button AF