E-M1: back button focus lock?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jak Crow, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Jak Crow

Jak Crow Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    I've been playing with the function buttons and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the camera to do a Fn button focus like I have my E-PL3 set to do. On my E-PL3, I changed the Fn button to switch to MF, then set the Rec button to AEL/AFL, and I get auto focus for as long as I'm holding down the Rec button. On the E-M1, setting the Fn1 button to MF and Fn2 tp AEL/AFL doesn't do that. It just enables AEL on the screen. Anyone know what I need to enable on one of the Fn buttons to do the same thing?
  2. Jak Crow

Jak Crow Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    I do a lot of underwater photography so BBF can be a great feature to use for some situations. I hope this is fixed with an update.
  3. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I have my EM-1 set to do back button autofocus. I started out using the ael/afl button. Put the focus mode in manual focus. Then, under the gears menu select af/mf, and then ale/afl. Set the m af mode to mode 3. This means that when you are in manual focus mode the ael/afl button will autofocus. You can then assign that function to whichever button you want. I'm using F1 and I have ael/afl set to do iso.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
  5. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    good info, one thing that drives me nuts on the EM1 is releasing the shutter and it starts searching again, when after a bird in flight or in a clutter of branches.. I will set me up a back button AF