1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1 Auto EVF switch

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by abat, Nov 10, 2013.

1. abat

abat Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Andrew
    I'd appreciate some help on the following issue. On my E-M1 with the EVF Auto switch set to "on" and the EVF selected, the back-light on rear LCD comes on for 8 seconds when I move my eye away from the eyepiece. This is different to the E-M5 where the LCD back-light remains off when you move your eye away from the eyepiece. I can't see how to stop this behaviour. There is a backlit LCD option under menu D, but this is set to 8 sec on both E-M1 and E-M5. Anyone else come across this and have a solution?

2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I'm not sure if I understand your question. I have the auto switch on but I prefer to use the rear LCD for the SCP panel most of the time. With the auto switch set to on but my eye from the EVF I press the display button to the left of the EVF. This stops the LCD from showing live view. You can then press the info button to cycle between different views. On mine it does SCP, levels, or completely blank (the LCD is really on but showing all black).

3. mico1964

mico1964 New to Mu-43

May 12, 2012
    Italy
    Michael
    I think it's a firmware bug and I hope it will be corrected in a future release. There is no reason to keep LCD backlight on when the display is blanked.

The E-M5 behaviour is correct.

4. abat

abat Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Andrew
    Thanks for confirmation that it's not just me. Let's hope it gets corrected soon. Andrew

5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    As bcaslis pointed out, use the Info button and you can select between the SCP, levels, or off for the LCD. If these are not what you are seeing then press the Live View button once and then cycle the LCD with Info button. This is consistent with my E-M5.