E-M1 as a sports camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OzRay, Mar 2, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    One of the things that amazes me about the E-M1 is its RAW shooting capability. When I did sports photography, I always shot RAW and the best I could do in a sequence before the buffer filled was around 12 shots, that's even with the E-5. The E-M1 on the other hand allows me to shoot at least 45 RAW shots before it starts to slow down and with a fast card, clears the buffer in no time.

The latest firmware update makes the E-M1 even better in C-AF mode than before. If Olympus can improve on this further with future models, it would be a very good sports camera indeed, especially sports such as Aussie Rules where the action is fast, hectic and unpredictable. I really wish I'd had an E-M1 some years back.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Huh.. I thought the E-M1 with firm 3.0 is already a sports camera. :thiagree:

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I have given it a run with the new firmware but am waiting for the 40-150 f2.8 (and teleconverter) to see how well it performs.
    Can't wait.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I think if I went back to the sports fields today with the E-M1, life would be so easy. Yes, the likes of the latest Nikons would still have better AF tracking, but I wouldn't really need that as the AF would still be fast and the frame rate so much improved. And what's more, I could shoot at ISO6400 without hesitation and see exactly what I'd get in the viewfinder, and have greater reach than anyone else on the field (and with a zoom lens).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The zoom part is probably the biggest part, being able to pick your subject near or far and not be restricted by the length of your prime means you would get a far greater selection to choose from. I don't think it's a hard choice between potentially losing out on something because the AF was slow compared to the very real gain that's always present of having more than half a person in frame (compared to a long telephoto prime at closer distances).

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    My 90-250mm gave me more striking shots than any other on the field could get with their fixed FL lenses when it came to Aussie Rules. Even my 50-200mm with EC-14 worked wonders in my early years.