E-M1 arrow button setting question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Underwater, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    So this is kind of embarrassing, but I could have sworn that had my M1 set up so that down arrow is for drive settings, right arrow is for flash, and left and up arrows would enable moving the focus points around. I was shooting waterfalls in some awkward positions, and afterwards left and up now change aperture/shutter and exposure. I got a few pages deep in a google search but can't figure out what I did or how to get it back. Any thoughts?

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Menu -> Custom Menu -> B -> Button Function -> scroll down to "Function" -> set it to what you need. My is OFF, too many buttons on EM1 already!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Press OK again. Because it might be still on Direct Function, but you had pressed "up" for Shutter and Aperture.

If it's still not back to normal, check:
    Menu - gear - B - button function - direct function.

4. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    If you have direct function on and you hit up first then left/right will change exposure settings. To change focus point without turning off the direct access feature just hit the left button first. Up is not programmable (nor left) for whatever reason. Left is focus point/face detection and up is exposure settings when direct function is on.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

So are we saying all 4 arrow buttons can be mapped to custom functions, or only 2 of them?

I've only been able to map two, and I don't really understand why it has that restriction since the arrows don't do anything the wheels don't do.

Thanks,
    Barry

7. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    Thanks for the help. I'm a little weirded out because after taking the battery out for a bit it works the way I expected (and how heli-mech describes it above). I even went back to some of the set-up pages I use- Biofos and some underwater-specific guides- and couldn't get it to work. The only other thing I can think of is that my last couple of shoots were in wet and/or muddy environments, but it's not like the camera was coated or anything. I cleaned it with a damp cloth before popping the battery out, so maybe that did the trick. Fingers crossed...

8. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    No, just two of the arrow keys (Down & Right) can be customized when set to Direct Function, Up & Left are fixed functions. Why? Who knows, makes no sense to me to have the camera so customizable but then restrict two buttons like that, however I'm pretty sure other Olympus's are the same way.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When your wheel starts to fail you can still use the up arrow followed by them all to achieve your desired exposure setting when the wheels won't work for you. :2thumbs:

• Funny Funny x 2