E-M1 and P14-140 got soaked in ocean

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
My Olympus E-M1 mk1 and Panasonic 14-140 mk1 lens got completely submerged in ocean water for 1-2 hrs, due to a minor kayaking incident.

I dissembled them right away, removed battery, extended the lens, and let them dry as best as I could.

They are dry now. But I can see green rust on E-M1 and some salt residues inside lens. Now what is the smartest thing to do. I haven't turned on camera since it got soaked.

I don't mind buying new replacements, but don't want to add unnecessary landfills if I can still reuse parts.

If the E-M1 is heading for landfill, please kindly recommend me a good travel + kayaking camera.

I feel E-M1 mk1 is almost good enough, though I wish it has Hi Res mode and faster handheld HDR. I handheld E-M1 mk1 for lots of (daytime travel) HDR before and am overall happy with it, even though a small portion of the HDR photos are not sharp due to my movement during HDR (even though I did brace myself into a human tripod most of the times).

I don't need great continuous CAF from this travel camera, as I have a Nikon D500 for that.

Also, I am guessing a 9-100mm auto m4/3 lens won't be available anytime soon?

Thank you in advance!

Real Name
Walter
I suggest both items are destined for the landfill. The slightest saltwater intrusion would doom internal electronics. Not even worth trying to fix. Sorry.

I'd recommend a Tough camera too. The TG-6 has a lot going for it and has pretty decent IQ. And, it would survive a few dunkings and some swimming, intentional or not. There are even some accessory lenses to extend the range and flash diffusers for close-ups.

Real Name
Chris
The oly tough cameras can do more that take a short bath. I have snorkeled with it where it spent over an hour in the water and it was fine.

Real Name
Paul
My first M1mk1 with the 7-14 f2.8 somehow came off the tripod and dropped into a freshwater creek. I grabbed it right away but although I was able to have the lens repaired the body was totaled out. Salt water for that long? Throw it in a hole and go through it's pockets for loose change. Sorry about that...

Can't argue with above but I'd leave it apart as far as you can disassemble in a warm place for a few weeks and see what happens.
If it still works I'd use it till it croaks.
Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I'd also seek out a replacement, now.

Does insurance cover it?
I took out cover thinking more of theft, but after my 100-400 dropped I was very happy to have it.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I soaked a phone earlier. In sweet water. Removed what I could do and also put it in a bag of rice.
Actually after a few days I tried starting it again and it worked!!
So I started using the phone again and it worked a few weeks. Then suddenly died on me.
Completely. Ceased to be.

Guess there was some chemical reactions that started. Must be much worse in salt water :(

I soaked a phone earlier. In sweet water. Removed what I could do and also put it in a bag of rice.
So I started using the phone again and it worked a few weeks. Then suddenly died on me.

Guess there was some chemical reactions that started. Must be much worse in salt water :(
My Samsung Note phone and I went under when I was wading a river and I couldn't quickly deal with it. Took me a few minutes to get back to dry land.
I took the battery out and when I got home about hour later took it apart as much as I dared and left it for several days in warm place.
Now several years later it's still going strong.
That's why I suggested what I did above.
I imagine the Olympus is better water proofed than my phone and yet acknowledge it went in salt water for considerable time.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't mind buying new replacements, but don't want to add unnecessary landfills if I can still reuse parts.
So sorry to hear that, salt water is a death sentence for unsealed electronics and lenses. A camera repair shop might be interested in salvaging parts but I wouldn't expect them to offer any $, still, better than filling up space in a landfill?

I second the recommendation for something like the Tough camera or Lumix's equivalent, but even those recommend careful rinsing in fresh water after submersion in salt water.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter

Roger Cicala shows what even a little bit of saltwater does to a camera. Death and destruction, basically. Don't look if you have a weak stomach. :-O
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/08/the-fujifilm-gfx-100-vs-salt-water-teardown/

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Not waterproof but....................I have a collection of Olly epl's and Panny GF's that I've picked up on ebay and gumtree all at around the A$100 mark. Also a couple of olly 14-42's and panny 12-32's at the same price mark. TBH, I don't even bother wiping my hands prior to photographing my fish catches as I categorise them as likely "collateral damage" whilst fishing/kayaking/boating

153332433_10225870575571433_6427549677287195986_n.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
177587061_10226362439107714_5522571178686000582_n.jpg
179038334_10226399760120716_5975890808925100135_n.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom