E-M1 and its 10 FPS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dbzkid777, Dec 24, 2014.

1. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Hi everyone,

Without a lens, the camera shoots fine at 10 fps (H Sequential).
    But when I put on my 12-40mm, it "sounds" like it's much slower than 10 fps.

1. Is the "10 fps" a fixed number or a maximum?
    2. Would low amounts of light affect the burst speed?
    3. Would Rls Priority affect the burst speed as well?

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    I think it could be the release priority. My notes to myself say:
    - C Release
    -- Rls Priority S: change from Off to On

I get 10fps with the 12-40. Try it.
  3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Pretty sure you only get 10fps if you're not using continuous focus. So, focus, lock, and then blaze away and you should get 10fps. With tracking, it's more like 6.5ish...
  4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    Yes, that's right. Use S-AF.
  5. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    What is your aperture set at? See if having the lens wide open makes any difference. When I was preparing to shoot an air show last summer with my E-M1 and the 4/3 50-200 + EC-14, I saw something along these lines where it was opening up then stopping down again between shots and that very noticeably impacted the frame rate. My memory is a little fuzzy but I think the impact was less pronounced but still present on native m43 lenses. I did find a setting that addressed this behavior but I can't recall what it was right now. I'll look into it further when I have a chance if you haven't found a resolution.
  6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    -> Image stabilization while sequential shooting can slow down the frame rate (as it needs to reset the sensor to give correct framing)
    -> if the shutter speed is slower than about 1/15th it will impact the speed
    -> if it needs to focus it will impact the speed
    -> using native 4/3 rather than m4/3 lenses if you shoot wide open it will have a much faster frame rate as these lenses take longer to stop down(they were designed to do so within the duration of mirror movement) and it allows more time for them to do so.
    -> Noise reduction set to ON rather than Automatic (dark frame subtraction) will slow it significantly as it will do dark frame subtraction on ALL pictures taken (even ones at 1/4000th of a second), it can be worth it if you're after less noise though... basically removes read noise.

Probably other stuff I've forgotten as well.
  7. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Maybe the SD card speed? Just a guess.
  8. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Apart from what others said, do you have shutter delay on?

sent from my Xperia Z