1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 and high speed sync

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by cyrax83, Jun 14, 2015.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi,
    I have a flash with high speed sync (Nissin i40 - supports up to 1/8,000 second).
    Now I know how to activate the high speed sync on the flash in TTL mode, and I know it's working because I can go into manual or shutter priority after activating and select high shutter speeds (up to 1/8,000 of a second and not get any black lines), but on aperture priority i'm finding that the shutter speed always stays on 1/125 even with high speed sync enabled. Is there a reason for this? Ideally shouldn't it be using high shutter speeds?

I usually use Aperture Priority mode if I'm honest, so unsure why it's always 1/125 with the flash even in high sync mode

I have x-sync set at 1/320 and Slow limit at 1/60

For example: if i'm shooting in a sunny day wide open with a portrait shot and want to expose the persons face infront of me - what would the best setting be? I currently just have it mounted on top in TTL mode, and I'd imagine that the flash wouldn't even fire.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    I rarely use HHS but I know that the flash must support the specific cameras HSS mode. Does the Nissin say it will works specifically with Olympus in the HSS mode? My 4 Nikon Speedlites will not work on Olympus in HSS mode, but can be fired in manual. My 2 Olympus FL-600R do allow for HSS.

I don't feel HSS should be used for portraits, most likely will cause blinking. If you want automatic fill flash, the best way to accomplish your portrait shot is to use a Oly flash and use the fill mode with plus compensation to slightly lighten up the face. Does the Nissin work with the E-M1 in flash fill mode? If so then great, if not, you need to shoot manual flash and use the flash's power setting to adjust the output as the cameras flash compensation button may not work. Leave at 1/320 x-sync unless you see any banding, then reduce to 1/250. I have shot with Alien Bees, Godox and many different Nikon flashes in manual with the E-M1 at 1/320 without banding.

Edit: Downloaded the i40 spec sheet and manual and yes is says the i40 will do HHS with Olympus, plus TTL. However in the notes, it also says "FP-High Speed Sync in wireless mode are controlled by a master unit and to refer to your camera manual". Without having one I can't be sure, but I think they mean a Olympus flash that would send out the proper signal to allow the i40 to work in HSS as a remote unit? Do you have an Oly flash you could set to HSS to test this? Wouldn't surprise me that the Oly functions are limited at first, just look at the FujiFIlm small print disclaimers on the spec sheet, none of the wireless or TTL functions work with Fuji.

Glad to see that other flash manufacturers are finally looking at M4/3 and not just working with Canon and Nikon.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Doesn't do that for me with. On my E-M1 + i40 in TTL FP mode it picks whatever shutter speed it needs to, with a minimum of the flash slow limit. Are you sure you're testing with enough ambient to warrant such a high shutter speed?

4. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi, here is what I'm doing:
    E-M1 in Aperture Priority - wide open
    Flash in TTL on hot shoe, then high flash sync enabled on the flash (holding the light button down for 3 seconds until the green starts flashing)
    I've tested by using a bright light source then focusing on a dark object, the camera seems to either use 1/125 shutter speed, or not use the flash.

Maybe I've got some settings wrong or not testing properly?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  5. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks for the info. I'm actually use the flash in the hot shoe, so I'd assume HSS would work in TTL mode on the hot shoe, but I can't get it to fire in TTL above 1/125 (see testing/settings in post above)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong :(

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Did you set the flash mode on the body to fill rather than auto?

7. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hmm I didn't know you had to actually set it and thought TTL was sufficient... I'll go have a read of the manual