1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 and Focus Stacking/Bracketing - dark images?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cyrax83, Nov 28, 2015.

1. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi guys,
    Upgraded to E-M1 v4.0 firmware and trying out focus stacking/bracketing feature on 12-40 pro.
    Something I've noticed is if I take a normal image on ISO 200, the image is properly exposed with a longer shutter speed which is fine as i'll be on a tripod or sturdy mount.

If I then enable focus stacking or bracketing and take a number of shots on ISO 200, the images are really dark - they seem to have a short shutter speed. If I enable AUTO ISO, the images are properly exposed but the ISO is high.

It seems as though I can't get Shutter Stacking/Bracketing to use a longer shutter speed and low ISO. I've tried both Aperture Priority mode and Manual Mode

Has anyone else found this?

I've attacked examples. Both are in Manual mode at f/2.8 on ISO 200. One is focus stacked, the other is a normal image. Both are full resolution direct from the camera.

The exif data of the focus stack shows the shutter speed is 1/8sec while the normal image is 1/3sec. Why doesn't the focus stack properly expose for each photo?

edit: it seems focus stack/bracket can't go any slower than 1/8sec in manual mode. why?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The reason is that the electronic shutter is limited to no slower than 1/8 sec.
    (See the release notes for 4.0 firmware).
    You need more light or a higher ISO.

3. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Is there a reason they couldn't do it without the electronic shutter?

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I would assume there is a reason for only using the electronic shutter.

5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Might be trying to reduce shutter shock. They're having to perfectly align multiple shots, so maybe they go to extremes to ensure perfect alignment.

Does the same thing occur with Focus Bracketing, or just Focus Stacking? That would make sense if true.

6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Same
    Same applies with both. With the 10fps electronic shutter the process is fast and silent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    The in camera modes limit you to using the electronic shutter. This is not a huge problem outdoors. If you are inside, the most convenient way to focus stack is to use Olympus Capture software. You can rack the focus from a button in the software and just go as many times as needed as opposed to guessing how many shots. Otherwise, focus stacking in camera has several limitations associated with electronic shutter.

8. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    How does the Olympus Capture software work?
    So we take multiple shots adjusting the focus point each time, then in post combine it with the software?

9. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Yeah, basically Olympus Capture is just tethering software. I also use lightroom to "auto import" the images that Olympus Capture is set to place on the computer in a set folder That way I can set my presets and development on the raw immediately and see what I'm doing.

In Olympus Capture you can see a live view on the computer screen and adjust all the settings, focus, shoot, etc... Without ever touching the camera. It has buttons for focus control. You can autofocus, focus lock, or adjust focus in "steps." It has course and fine steps going in both directions. I usually have the camera at sync speed 1/320 and aperture 5.6 or 7.1 depending on the lens for maximum sharpness. Then I begin at my nearest focal point. I take a shot. Then I press the fine focus adjust button once to move forward in focus (towards infinity) and take another shot. I just keep going until I see I have gotten all the depth of field that I want. Using DOF preview helps too so you can see how far you actually need to go in terms of the steps. Just depends how close you are and how far back your subject extends from the closest focus point.

Then you can stack them all in Helicon Focus or other stacking software.

This manual method allows you to fully shoot without hindrance and guess work. It would have been great if Olympus gave us focus bracketing in mechanical shutter mode too. Maybe just without stacking. I don't understand why they couldn't. I mean interval shooting and time lapse mode both allow full use of settings and a mechanical shutter. Sometimes you wonder who is debating these decisions behind the scenes and if they are actually photographers who work or are able to think beyond just their own experience and use.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1