1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1 and FL-50 - af assist lamp

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by VooDoo64, Oct 13, 2015.

1. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    Ok, I have big problem with af in low light or dim light with my E-M1 and 40-150 PRO and little less but also with 12-40 PRO, I dont see why E-M1 who have cd-af AND PD-AF can have af assist light from FL-50 (flash) ?? E3 and E5 have af assist lamp trough FL-50 and it is working great, but on EM-1 you can only have Af assist lamp trough body lamp and that sucks because on big lens light is obscured by the size of lens and in-body lamp is to bright while in flash af-lamp is not so bright but do job far better :(

So why Olympus dont make fw upgrade for this big problem, you can not use Olympus PRO set and best flash for events in club ect because af dont work - it hunts and dont get accurate focus -- you can not call something PRO if you can not do PRO job for money with it..

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Because Olympus is weird that way. I still never understood why the FL-40 was completely TTL compatible with the E-1 then NOT TTL compatible with all future dSLRs. And the FL-40 was not a cheap flash.

It may be that Olympus felt that the 36/36R/50/50R flashes' focus assist lamp were not as useful on mirrorless cameras using contrast focusing as they did on the old phase detect AF on the dSLR line and so disabled that function so poor performance of that feature wouldn't frustrate users. They rather you not have it at all instead of having it and hating it.

3. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    Yes, but E-M1 have "old phase detect AF" so E-M1 as flagship could and should have that function ...

4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Yes, but a few things.

1) I am completely guessing about the reason why the focus assist was disabled for OM-D and Pen cameras. I could be completely wrong as to the reason they did so.

2) I think the FL-600R predated the E-M1 so at the time of its release, none of the mirrorless line supported phase detection AF.

3) The change to the firmware would probably have to be in the flash itself, not the camera. I don't think Olympus normally has a way to allow users to update FW of flash units. So while they could update the firmware for new units, all existing units in the field would act differently than newer units which could confuse customers especially if they have a mix of older and newer units.

5. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    for the flash ( FL-50 and 36 ) E-M1 he could "pretend" that it is E3 or E5 ( just for flash thing in softwere -or have a mode for flash ), it could turn only PD-AF points for that mode and than akt like PD-AF camera ( like E3 / E5 ) - I dont see why this could not be possible and easy to solve by Olmypus softw.desing team